Question

SMS notification for missed calls while phone was off network

• 19 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

How do I activate an SMS notification for missed calls while the phone was offline, i.e. in airplane mode / turned off / no coverage?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

dont believe you can. if its offline, in airplane mode, turned off or has zero coverage then you wont have any signal to get a text either.

Badge

Thank you for your reply. The text would be delivered afterwards. Mobile operators elsewhere offer this service for free, for example T-Mobile in its home market in Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran  @drnewcomb  either of you heard of this for the states here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Never seen anything like this from T-Mobile.  If your device is in Airplane Mode and you miss a call.  The device doesn’t have any notification for that because the device never received it.  If they leave a voicemail, you will get that notification when the device is taken out of Airplane Mode.  

Badge

@syaoran It’s been a standard service in European mobile networks (probably elsewhere, too) for more than a decade. When someone dials my mobile number, my home network gets a call request no matter whether my device is currently connected to that network or not. So the network operator knows that somebody tried to call my number – and could thus notify me later.

I’m dumbfounded that it’s not offered here, T-Mobile support just confirmed they don’t have it in the US. But then again, I’d never heard of a mobile operator limiting video resolution, blocking international calling or asking extra money for hotspot usage before coming to the US, despite the prices here being exorbitant compared to European networks. (I would have paid much less for a European Global Unlimited 5G plan than for a US national 5G Unlimited Plan.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran It’s been a standard service in European mobile networks (probably elsewhere, too) for more than a decade. When someone dials my mobile number, my home network gets a call request no matter whether my device is currently connected to that network or not. So the network operator knows that somebody tried to call my number – and could thus notify me later.

I’m dumbfounded that it’s not offered here, T-Mobile support just confirmed they don’t have it in the US. But then again, I’d never heard of a mobile operator limiting video resolution, blocking international calling or asking extra money for hotspot usage before coming to the US, despite the prices here being exorbitant compared to European networks. (I would have paid much less for a European Global Unlimited 5G plan than for a US national 5G Unlimited Plan.)

yeah...welcome to America...where we like to keep the rich rich and the poor even poorer lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I never had anything like that when I used Vodafone UK.  In Canada and the US, I have never seen that on any of the carriers and I have tried them all.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

do you mean call forwarding?

Badge

@fireguy_6364 Nope, call forwarding is something different.

Here’s an explanation I found by an operator from Myanmar (a developing country…):
https://www.atom.com.mm/en/personal/missed-call-alert

O2 has it in the UK, T-Mobile in Germany etc.