Question

T-Mobile Charging me after cancellation!

Badge

Hello, I previously had cell phone service with T-mobile and we cancelled it and switched to ATT in September 2021 because we never had good service anywhere. My last bill was autopaid in September and never received any letter from T-Mobile. However, I received a letter from a debt collector named Convergent dated 1/10/22 for T-Mobile for $623.91. Then, I received a Final Notice letter from T-Mobile dated 1/20/22 saying that I owe $623.91. I called the debt collector and they said T-Mobile pulled the account from them. Then I received a letter from a different debt collector named Frontline Asset Strategies for the amount of $1,710.41. I disputed it with Frontline. T-Mobile has been charging me monthly for service that I cancelled in September 2021. How can they charge me for service that I don't even have? How can they try to send it to a debt collector, pull it back from them and send a different amount to a different debt collector before trying to contact me? I will proceed with a lawsuit if this account is not cleared to a $0 balance and cleared, as I have read online many multiple complaints of T-Mobile doing this to other customers. Thank you.

11 replies

Badge

Same is happening to me!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You still had a bill.  Often people FAIL to realize there are 2 dates.  If you cancel after you paid your bill doesn’t mean the month starts after that.  You paid for August in September, and had usage in September and September usage is due October even if you cancelled in September.

For example  my cycle ends the 14th and my bill is due the 30th.  If I cancel say on the 30th I would get a bill for the previous month which started on the 14th of the last month.

This is what gets most people.  Good Luck with the lawsuit.  People have sued and failed because there was in fact usage and bill is due.  Just because you didn’t realize this doesn’t mean you don’t owe it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Some people also seem to think that porting out cancels the service, which it doesn’t.  You should always call and cancel your service with the carrier you are leaving because the new carrier can’t actually do that for you, even if they tell you they can.  

You still had a bill.  Often people FAIL to realize there are 2 dates.  If you cancel after you paid your bill doesn’t mean the month starts after that.  You paid for August in September, and had usage in September and September usage is due October even if you cancelled in September.

For example  my cycle ends the 14th and my bill is due the 30th.  If I cancel say on the 30th I would get a bill for the previous month which started on the 14th of the last month.

This is what gets most people.  Good Luck with the lawsuit.  People have sued and failed because there was in fact usage and bill is due.  Just because you didn’t realize this doesn’t mean you don’t owe it.

Unless you cancelled with them, you have no clue how either incompetent or intentionally deceitful they are. They lied about my end of service date. Did not tell me I’d be billed again. LOCKED me out of my account with no way to get back into it which by the way contained all my bills and payment history so I could not even confirm that they were post-service billing me. I asked them to sent me an email of my bills and never got it. They LIE over and over and commit fraud. They deserve to be sued. I work at a top producing law firm. THIS IS FRAUD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Another thing most don’t realize, is that their phone financing remaining balance automatically becomes due when switching carriers or cancelling the service once the account is cancelled.  

Well you don’t know if the OP was financing their phones and often times a new services will pay off the devices if you switch as a promotion. But I specifically am speaking about their home internet services. They lie and commit fraud. It doesn’t matter what people “don’t realize”. Everything should be explained when cancelling but they are a skeevy business. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Isn't it explained in the service agreement?  I get that people don't like to read those long documents but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for not knowing what your responsibilities are and knowing what costs and when they will be charged after canceling are.  

I mean even if it was in the service agreement, when customer service tells you you will have internet until the 15th you’d expect for it to work until the 15th. Not the 1st. Also, locking someone out of their online account where they have all their bills and payment history, is REALLY BAD practice. That’s also where the service agreement would have been stored but OHP can’t review that because I can’t get into my account or be given any information on my account by T-Mobile reps. But to be honest, I doubt those little bits of info are actually in the service agreement. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Unless you cancelled with them, you have no clue how either incompetent or intentionally deceitful they are. They lied about my end of service date. Did not tell me I’d be billed again. LOCKED me out of my account with no way to get back into it which by the way contained all my bills and payment history so I could not even confirm that they were post-service billing me. I asked them to sent me an email of my bills and never got it. They LIE over and over and commit fraud. They deserve to be sued. I work at a top producing law firm. THIS IS FRAUD. 

If you use CC or bank you have a history of your payments. Prepaid charges every 30 days.  So if the days don’t end up being the same day because months that have 28 and 31 days changes the billing date.  Also if you were prepaid you wouldn’t get a bill.  Postpaid will always be the same due day and will always be 2-3 days from the date and always consistent those 2 specific days.  If you logged into your account before you canceled under Usage it tells you your cycle.

If they are deceitful why they make it easy to find this info?  If you have an iDevice tied to the network you can even find it.  Difference is server time.  T-Mobile tells you based on your time zone, and Apple displays what the server time tells when it starts over.

My understanding when it comes to bills you have to request them and they don’t email them.  They send you hard copies to your address on file.  I don’t know of any provider that gives you any bill or access to an online account after you cancel service unless if Google or Apple that is tied to unless you delete that specific account as it’s an addon and not an actual service account.  Also Google wants that data so they can sell it.  Apple uses the data not to sell but services, diagnostics data, and analytics for their devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I mean even if it was in the service agreement, when customer service tells you you will have internet until the 15th you’d expect for it to work until the 15th. Not the 1st. Also, locking someone out of their online account where they have all their bills and payment history, is REALLY BAD practice. That’s also where the service agreement would have been stored but OHP can’t review that because I can’t get into my account or be given any information on my account by T-Mobile reps. But to be honest, I doubt those little bits of info are actually in the service agreement. 

She may have read the dates wrong…  She may have told you the ending of the billing cycle and not use cycle.  You can request the data sent to you.  You want it emailed, but they don’t do email and hard copies are king even in legal terms. 

If you use CC or bank you have a history of your payments. Prepaid charges every 30 days.  So if the days don’t end up being the same day because months that have 28 and 31 days changes the billing date.  Also if you were prepaid you wouldn’t get a bill.  Postpaid will always be the same due day and will always be 2-3 days from the date and always consistent those 2 specific days.  If you logged into your account before you canceled under Usage it tells you your cycle.

If they are deceitful why they make it easy to find this info?  If you have an iDevice tied to the network you can even find it.  Difference is server time.  T-Mobile tells you based on your time zone, and Apple displays what the server time tells when it starts over.

My understanding when it comes to bills you have to request them and they don’t email them.  They send you hard copies to your address on file.  I don’t know of any provider that gives you any bill or access to an online account after you cancel service unless if Google or Apple that is tied to unless you delete that specific account as it’s an addon and not an actual service account.  Also Google wants that data so they can sell it.  Apple uses the data not to sell but services, diagnostics data, and analytics for their devices.

Well I am talking about their HOME INTERNET services. It’s not easy to see that information on my iPhone since my phone carrier is Verizon. And like I said, I am LOCKED out of my account with no way to view my bills or any information regarding my account. I have email records of each payment I made but that’s not my issue. Not to mention I always paid my bill on pay day not when it’s due so that is reflecting different payment dates. Regardless, I want to SEE the dates of service and not go off of what they’re telling me as they’ve lied or shown they were incompetent in the past. I read my bill. I am certain the service date began and ended in the middle of the month. I verified that with the service agent and if they were confused then that’s a big mistake to make when I work from home and I rely on my home internet services.  But like I said, I can’t see any of my bills and I can’t prove the dates. I also told you I asked for the bills to be emailed to me. I got NOTHING. They never mailed them to me either. Sadly I did not save the bills to my files bc I did not think I would be locked out from being able to them. I have never been locked out of an account I cancelled services with in the past. It’s not common practice. But even if it was, I was told my services would end the 15th not the 1st. At the bare minimum, they should have allowed me access until my final bill had been paid. If they’re not being deceitful then why hide this info from me? They didn’t even mail me a final bill, I got an invoice and was told to pay as a guest. You really have no clue what you’re talking about, just like them.