Question

T-Mobile chat rep lied about first responder eligibility

• 7 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I switched from ATT to T-mobile recently and was told that I would qualify for the first responder plan since I’m on the first responder plan on ATT. I chatted with a T-Mobile rep and transferred over 5 lines after confirming my qualifications. Now that I’ve paid off $3000 in balances with ATT for my devices and jumped through all the hoops of transferring my entire family to the magenta max plan, I’m told I don’t qualify for first responder status. I’m an ICU physician and I told them that clearly and I told them I don’t have EMT certification but I do sometimes ride in ambulances. They said all I needed was my hospital ID to verify. I’ve attached the chat log below.

Today, I call customer service to clear up this issue and am told there’s nothing they can do about their employee lying to me and the most they can do is either give me a lower grade plan for a discount that would still leave me paying $426 more per year than I was originally quoted.

I’m pretty sure bait and switch schemes are against the law and I will surely report this to the relevant authorities. Looking around online it seems many people are falling prey to this predatory scheme.

What are my options at this point. The customer rep at the call center called her supervisor and they are refusing to acknowledge this issue.

1 reply

I would escalate this to executive resolutions team(or whatever they are called now) you can do that by contacting T-force online in chat and request escalation to the executive resolution team and get a case number. 

it can take 7 to 10 days for someone from executive resolutions to review the case and reach back out to you, if you are unable to take a call they will leave a phone number and a new case number on your voicemail and you can call back in and use that new number to navigate there automated system and actually talk to someone about the issue.

after initial contact, you can continue this on email with your documentation etc.

Now will they honor the what there employee said I can not tell you, but they do have the power too honor it.

T-Mobile should actually post covid come up with a combined plan, Tmo Military/First Responders and Nurses/Doctors and just call it Magenta Heroes. but they haven’t done that yet and under the new management they might not.

but here is the fine print on First Responders Discount. 

First Responders are currently defined as : “State and local law enforcement officers, firefighters, emergency medical response personnel, pensioned retirees as well as parents, children, or spouses of first responders killed in the line of duty are eligible for T-Mobile's Magenta First Responder plans.”  

The other issue with the first responder plan is it does not include Federal Law Enforcement, and it has to be reverified yearly.  Military plan is a one time verification and done.

Hope this helps.