Solved

Tmobile to Tmobile number transfer

• 7 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

For years I’ve had an old legacy prepaid account with T-mobile (phone #1).

A couple days ago I took advantage of a trade-in promotion at bestbuy, I traded in my old phone and activated a new “Essentials” post-paid plan with T-Mobile. I requested to have my old prepaid account number (phone #1) ported to my new phone/line.

I took the phone home and popped in the sim card bestbuy gave me and went through the activation process on bestbuys website. My phone was now working fine and I could call and make texts, however, my number appeared to be different (phone #2).

Panicking, I called customer care, they told me that the number port-in was currently in progress and this (phone #2) was just a “temporary” number until the port in process was complete. She told me the process would take 24 hours and I’d receive a text saying it was successful.

28 hours later and I received no such text and my number is still (“temporary” phone #2), I decide to head into a T-Mobile store this time instead of calling customer care again. The person who I spoke to was INCREDIBLY rude and didn’t seem to grasp that I was transferring my old T-MOBILE number. He kept saying “your old carrier isn’t releasing your number” I reply “You are my ‘old’ carrier” he says this doesn’t make sense and says there’s nothing he can do for me and to call customer care.

I call customer care again and this representative tells me the same thing the first one did, there’s a request to transfer (phone #1) to (“temporary” phone #2) and she says this process will take 48 hours (not 24 hours this time). She also tells me she’s going to send me a text message containing her name and my case number. I have never received this text.

It’s been 48 hours now and my number is still (“temporary phone #2) I don’t know what’s wrong or who to contact. I had a thought that maybe they’re trying to contact me on my (phone #1) to confirm/verify the transfer? The problem is that I accidentally left my old sim card in the phone I traded in to best buy. I have no access to (phone #1) so if that number is getting any texts or calls from T-mobile I can’t access it.

According to customer care though all I have to do is wait, they’ve made no mention about having to do anything on my (phone #1).

Is this really just a waiting game? Do I just keep calling customer care every 24 hours to be told it takes 72 hours… 96 hours?

Or is part of the port-in process confirming/verifying something sent to my old number? If so what do I do? My sim card is inside the phone I traded into best buy.

I’m posting here because I’m tired of the 2 hour wait times to get ahold of someone that just tells me I need to wait 24 MORE hours.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

This is what I see when I log into T-Mobile

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 7 October 2021, 18:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Oh, sorry to hear this happened. Seems like there was a number change done, but it’s hard to say without looking into your account. You can try messaging our T-Force team using @TMobileHelp on Twitter. They have account access and can open your account to figure out more details about what’s going on and how to get this resolved. You can even link them to this thread so they have the gist of what’s going on.

Badge

Oh, sorry to hear this happened. Seems like there was a number change done, but it’s hard to say without looking into your account. You can try messaging our T-Force team using @TMobileHelp on Twitter. They have account access and can open your account to figure out more details about what’s going on and how to get this resolved. You can even link them to this thread so they have the gist of what’s going on.

Thank you so much! I reached out to @TMobileHelp on twitter and they were able to resolve my issue. 

Call 611, Team of Experts,  from your temporary number on  the new SIM card. That’s ok — don’t panic : ). 
Tell that rep you want to port your T-Mobile number over on top of that temporary assigned number. 

Having this same issue for 4 days now. When you call the new number the old phone is receiving the calls and I assume texts.  Not a good situation at all.