Question

Trade in an old device on an existing line

• 11 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Today, I went into my T-Mobile account and click through to upgrade a device, selected the iPhone 13 128GB, and chose the iPhone 8 on an existing line for trade-in and it said I would get $600 bill credit back over 24 months. Does that sound too good to be true?

I then tried to select another line with an iPhone 12 mini 64GB for the trade in and it said I would get $800! More than what it sells for!. I then entered the info for an old iPhone 6 Plus 64GB for the trade-in and it said I would get $500! Are these real?

For these trade-ins I tried to click through, there is a fine print that says "Pricing shown may reflect a future dated rate plan change in effect on your next bill cycle." Is this a sneaky way to charge me for a more expensive plan?

I'm looking to upgrade the iPhone 8 to an iPhone 13 on one of my 5 lines. I am currently on the ONE plan and absolutely do not want to change to a more expensive Magenta plan whatsoever.

Has anyone else tried to go through with these trade-in upgrade on their account?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately when upgrading for iPhones you're going to need to change your plan to the Magenta.

Personally I've never traded in a phone. I've read too many complaints  on this forum.

Badge

But it was never mentioned when I clicked through the many pages all the way to the payment screen. The fine print is suspicious enough for me to raise concerns. T-Mobile, let’s just be upfront with your offers and let the customers decide if they want to take a deal or not. Please do not try to trick us into something we don’t want and eventually cause a lot of frustration and troubles with customers and the CS reps. Most of us just want to deal fairly and honestly. We’ve all seen too many of these attempts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Most “Free Phone” deals involve either adding a line or upgrading your plan. I was able to get a trade-in deal that allowed me to keep my grandfathered plan but that was when T-Mobile was more actively trying to get everyone on 5G phones.

The one thing that I will mention is that a month ago I checked and found that the factory unlocked version of my OnePlus 8T 5G was selling for less direct from OnePlus than what I owed T-Mobile on the T-Mobile locked version I bought a year ago. So, you can save a heck of a lot by just buying last year’s model direct from the manufacturer.