Solved

Trade in value qualification

• 11 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I was looking at buying the new Galaxy S22 Ultra and saw that the trade in value for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra for existing customers currently enrolled in the Magenta Max plan is $1000.  I am currently enrolled in the Magenta Max 55+ plan and was wondering if that also qualifies me for $1000 if I trade in my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 11 February 2022, 05:43

View original

7 replies

I’m wondering the same thing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Easiest way to find out is to add it to your cart and find out. You don't need to complete the transaction.

Badge

Easiest way to find out is to add it to your cart and find out. You don't need to complete the transaction.

Thanks.  I just did that and the quote came back at $315, so I guess the 55+ plan doesn’t qualify for the $1000.  I was wondering about that because I had tried earlier to order it by phone from T-Mo’s sales department.  When I inquired about the trade in value, the rep told me I would be getting $1000 for my old phone, so I told him to go ahead and process my order.  Afterwards, I was looking through the paperwork emailed to me and couldn’t find any mention of the $1000 trade in, so I called T-Mo’s Customer Service Center in Albuquerque NM and asked the rep to check it for me.  He told me that there was no trade in attached to my order and offered to cancel it and redo it with a trade in.  I agreed and told him that the first rep had told me I would be getting $1000 for my old phone.  The first form he emailed to me was the trade in agreement which said that I had agreed to accept a quote of $315 for my phone.  I asked him why it was $315 and not $1000 as had originally been quoted to me.  He said that $1000 was the promotional value and that when I sent my old phone in, they would check it out and if everything looked good, they would bump it up to $1000.  He obviously lied to me.  I felt kind of leery about the whole thing so I called the sales center back and asked another rep cancel my order.  She told me she needed to put me on hold while she looked into it.  About 20 minutes later, the call hung up on me.  Nice.  So I called back and asked another rep to cancel it, which she did.  After this experience, I am never going to buy anything from T-Mobile again, ever. :angry::thumbsdown_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That’s why I never traded in a phone for credit. I always keep the old phone as a back up or sell it on Swappa.

Why does it say that you can get $200 for a trade in and then when you calculate it says only $40.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thanks.  I just did that and the quote came back at $315, so I guess the 55+ plan doesn’t qualify for the $1000.  I was wondering about that because I had tried earlier to order it by phone from T-Mo’s sales department.  When I inquired about the trade in value, the rep told me I would be getting $1000 for my old phone, so I told him to go ahead and process my order.  Afterwards, I was looking through the paperwork emailed to me and couldn’t find any mention of the $1000 trade in, so I called T-Mo’s Customer Service Center in Albuquerque NM and asked the rep to check it for me.  He told me that there was no trade in attached to my order and offered to cancel it and redo it with a trade in.  I agreed and told him that the first rep had told me I would be getting $1000 for my old phone.  The first form he emailed to me was the trade in agreement which said that I had agreed to accept a quote of $315 for my phone.  I asked him why it was $315 and not $1000 as had originally been quoted to me.  He said that $1000 was the promotional value and that when I sent my old phone in, they would check it out and if everything looked good, they would bump it up to $1000.  He obviously lied to me.  I felt kind of leery about the whole thing so I called the sales center back and asked another rep cancel my order.  She told me she needed to put me on hold while she looked into it.  About 20 minutes later, the call hung up on me.  Nice.  So I called back and asked another rep to cancel it, which she did.  After this experience, I am never going to buy anything from T-Mobile again, ever. :angry::thumbsdown_tone2:

That is how the promotion works. $315 is what your “fair market value” trade in is worth. You can check other 3rd party trade in services and you will see similar quotes. You will get the $315 as a one time credit to your account. The balance of $685 will be spread out over 24 monthly credits. The promotion is to give you a lot more than you get selling or trading in but in return you lock yourself into 24 months of service because if you cancel your service before 24 months, you lose any remaining credit. I’ve done this numerous times without issue.

Try to see this online like you did before but instead of selecting the option to purchase in full, select the 24 monthly payments option and your trade in should show $1000. At checkout you will see details on estimated monthly payments and credits. Save that summary because like you said the financing paperwork doesn’t contain any information about your trade in - odd, but normal TMO process.

Ah, the bait and switch program. You cannot trust T-mobile to tell you the truth about what you get and after you’ve turned in your device and realize you’ve been scammed by their shady business practices, you can turn from the most happy customer with many years of service to being the most unhappy one who can’t wait to see your contract end.

Any business who treats their long term customers worse than people they’re trying to lure in is a garbage business. That’s T-Mobile. 

They used to send texts after you had a contact with a support team member to see how they did. I received no such texts now and the support was terrible. Things change fast.