Question

UPS lost trade phone

• 21 February 2023
  • 22 replies

Badge

Desperate here. 

I did everything I was ordered to do by T mobile. 

used their shipping label and shipped it via USPS. long story short it’s missing. 

talked to the customer service. As you can imagine all I hear is same thing like parrot. “ma’am, we didn’t get the package we can’t honor your trade in value.” 

Now I got the message that they will stop my trade in credit. because I didn’t return device. what should I do? 

Of course, I have receipt and everything. I don’t want to talk to that dumb customer service robots anymore. anybody know where I turn to now? 

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @jinjenk providing the shipping label is supposed to make things easier. It totally sucks when a package slips through someone’s fingers and it ends up lost. I have a couple questions so I can get you the best plan of action. How long ago did you give it to USPS? Can you still track the progress of the package online?

Badge

I shipped the package on Dec 28 2022. 

First searching request made on 1/18/2023

tracking # is 9202 0902 8418 4849 0608 04

after case open someone from USPS sent me email said my package was delivered to your facility in LEwisville TX. So I contacted t mobile. heard they din’t have package. so back to USPS  open second search request on 2/2/2023. still they din’t locate the package. and meanwhile my promotion expired. explained the customer service over the phone. well. of course. they said “sorry. But we din’t get the package. we can’t value your trade in anymore” HAHAHA

I said I did everything I was supposed to do . it’s not my fault. one of your smart customer service guru said “ well… you could have returned it in person ,,, why din’t you do that? sorry… ” really? I can’t talk that kind of human being anymore. Anyhow. 

here is last e mail I got from USPS from second searching request. 

USPS - Search Request Update

Inbox

default-user=s80-p

auto-reply@usps.gov

Fri, Feb 17, 1:10 AM (4 days ago)

to JINJENK

usps-logo.png

Search ID #MRC 23 1574 7330

Dear JIN KIM,

Thank you for using USPS.com.

The US Postal Service® received the search request you submitted and it's being processed. Your package has not yet been recovered, but every effort is being made to locate your item(s).

Search Request Details:

Request Date: 01/18/2023

Reference: Search ID #15747330

Tracking Number: 9202090284184849060804

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using the U.S. Postal Service®.

let me know. where is my fault? and what should I do now? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It looks like you are doing all the right things. Having the search request submitted through USPS was going to be my next recommendation so I am happy to see that you were already a step ahead of me there. Hopefully they find it soon.

I know that you have talked to many customer service reps about this already. Have you tried contacting us through Facebook or Twitter? You can message with us there and show them the email that you showed us here. If you give them a chance to review the IMEI of the trade in device and tracking number, they should have some kind of solution since USPS has lost the package.

Badge

Im trying tweeter   Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ugh!  This makes me really nervous as I have a trade-in I sent back using the T-Mobile provided USPS shipping label and it has been sitting at the Lewisville, TX post office waiting for Assurant to pick it up.  It has been sitting waiting to be picked up for a week now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ugh!  This makes me really nervous as I have a trade-in I sent back using the T-Mobile provided USPS shipping label and it has been sitting at the Lewisville, TX post office waiting for Assurant to pick it up.  It has been sitting waiting to be picked up for a week now.

Hey @syaoran, Did someone tell you that Assuant would get their packages from the USPS office? I thought that USPS takes it to the warehouses not that the warehouses pick them up themselves. Not sure one way or the other, but nice to know that it is at least in the right city and isn't lost somewhere in transit. Being that it is the tail end of the holiday season with all the trade-in devices are coming back in waves, I would assume that it would take the warehouses a bit longer to process the devices and could be the reason for the delay. 

If you are worried about it, you could also file the search request for USPS and that may flag them to deliver the package instead of allowing it to sit on a shelf in their building. 

Badge

I totally agree . Mine was missing after it landed on Lewisville TX . Dont know whos fault. ThatAssurant company cause a lot of problem by my research.  Needless to say USPS. if it doesnt move more a week.start to do something. 
i got my lesson.  Even though this is shipping label T mobile provided to me they dont want to take any responsibility nor have back up insurance for such a case like this. So dissapointed. I am the one who has to run around to find my lost(stolen ?) device to get that trade in bait. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The package made it to the local post office in Lewisville, TX and just went straight to, available for pick up.  That is what it says when I look at the tracking information and T-Force has said, someone should retrieve it.  It just seems odd for a device to sit at the post office for almost a week when Trade-ins in the past were always delivered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I totally agree . Mine was missing after it landed on Lewisville TX . Dont know whos fault. ThatAssurant company cause a lot of problem by my research.  Needless to say USPS. if it doesnt move more a week.start to do something. 
i got my lesson.  Even though this is shipping label T mobile provided to me they dont want to take any responsibility nor have back up insurance for such a case like this. So dissapointed. I am the one who has to run around to find my lost(stolen ?) device to get that trade in bait. 

What happened when you reached out to us through Twitter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The label lists Assurant as the shipper and receiver.  Literally the same information.  T-Mobile may provide it.to tuw customer but USPS lists the company states the company that pays for those labels is Assurant.  Assurant and Asurion are equally horrible companies! 

If my device doesn't get to them.  It will be an FCC and FTC complaint if T-Mobile doesn't step in and do so.e thing.  I will also make sure the device gets blacklisted and file a police report.  These devices are either going missing at the local post office or at the company.  Regardless, it seems like USPS isn't doing their job in the first place.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The package made it to the local post office in Lewisville, TX and just went straight to, available for pick up.  That is what it says when I look at the tracking information and T-Force has said, someone should retrieve it.  It just seems odd for a device to sit at the post office for almost a week when Trade-ins in the past were always delivered.

I still think it is odd that it says ready for pickup, but I did get some clarification on how the phones get from USPS to the Lewisville warehouse. The USPS location will gather our packages over a time and then deliver them to the warehouse in waves. Not sure if the timeframe is set or if they wait for a certain number of packages, but this does explain why it didn’t immediately go to the warehouse. I love that you shared a screenshot. I am using it to ask more questions and bring attention to the amount of time that devices are waiting to be moved. Thanks for sharing and I will keep you posted on what I hear back. 
There is a buffer built into the return timelines for things like this, so it should be processed before you have any issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have USPS looking into things as well.  I haven't heard anything back from them yet and that might take a few days to get a response.  Normally, I send devices in through UPS because it is just more convenient.  It just happens I was going to be right by the post office here for lunch so I decided to drop it off there.  Now I wish I had gone out of my way to drop it off at UPS and paid to have it shipped directly to them with an signature required.

Thank you for looking into things, @HeavenM!  T-Mobile could definitely improve upon how this whole process is.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @jinjenk I was wondering if you had a chance to check your account or dial #BAL# (#225#) on your phone. 

Magic Money

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have USPS looking into things as well.  I haven't heard anything back from them yet and that might take a few days to get a response.  Normally, I send devices in through UPS because it is just more convenient.  It just happens I was going to be right by the post office here for lunch so I decided to drop it off there.  Now I wish I had gone out of my way to drop it off at UPS and paid to have it shipped directly to them with an signature required.

Thank you for looking into things, @HeavenM!  T-Mobile could definitely improve upon how this whole process is.  

i would think having them sent to a store and the store send them out in bulk to whoever would be a bit easier to track and keep tabs on..

Badge

Hi. @HeavenM 

thanks for staying with this problem. I’ve I been through a lot last few days. worst was dealing with USPS. they have no communication each other so I had to explain everything over 10 times every time they suggest me a different department. long story short nothing was resolved from USPS. they stop my process right there after 2 month it’s just searching.no further action or reply. not even confirming that my mail is missing. 

and I reached out T force on tweeter. they understood my situation and re-enroll me on that trade in credit program . but still not sure I can consider this as a problem solved or not. what if it affect after 2 yr when I want to switch the phone and still they can say. “ hey? we still din’t get your phone. ? worst sinario.

but for now t force is saying they re-enroll me trade credit program so don’t have to worry now. 

do you think is that ok? I’m not worrying now. I want to resolve this problem totally. 

now I think maybe ASSRANT could be behind this. but I don’t want to spill  that now. my phone was almost brand new looking in the original box and almost original condition. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you for looking into things, @HeavenM!  T-Mobile could definitely improve upon how this whole process is.  

i would think having them sent to a store and the store send them out in bulk to whoever would be a bit easier to track and keep tabs on..

I totally considered that.  I have seen people complain about stores not wanting to take them or the devices never getting from the store to Assurant to compete the process.  I definitely regret not going out of my way to take it to UPS and paying out of pocket to have it returned.  

I still Don t have a reply from USPS on where it is and the redelivery that was scheduled (never went out for delivery) for the 23rd that has not happened.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi. @HeavenM 

thanks for staying with this problem. I’ve I been through a lot last few days. worst was dealing with USPS. they have no communication each other so I had to explain everything over 10 times every time they suggest me a different department. long story short nothing was resolved from USPS. they stop my process right there after 2 month it’s just searching.no further action or reply. not even confirming that my mail is missing. 

and I reached out T force on tweeter. they understood my situation and re-enroll me on that trade in credit program . but still not sure I can consider this as a problem solved or not. what if it affect after 2 yr when I want to switch the phone and still they can say. “ hey? we still din’t get your phone. ? worst sinario.

but for now t force is saying they re-enroll me trade credit program so don’t have to worry now. 

do you think is that ok? I’m not worrying now. I want to resolve this problem totally. 

now I think maybe ASSRANT could be behind this. but I don’t want to spill  that now. my phone was almost brand new looking in the original box and almost original condition. 

@jinjenk If they enrolled you in the promotion, then I call that a win! 😁 USPS losing the phone is not your fault and you won't have to worry about it coming back to haunt you in a couple years. 

There is definitely something going on if boxes are getting you Lewisville and then never making it to the warehouse. I sent your examples along so that we can review that partnership and ensure that we are doing things the right way. 

I totally considered that.  I have seen people complain about stores not wanting to take them or the devices never getting from the store to Assurant to compete the process.  I definitely regret not going out of my way to take it to UPS and paying out of pocket to have it returned.  

I still Don t have a reply from USPS on where it is and the redelivery that was scheduled (never went out for delivery) for the 23rd that has not happened.

I think T-Mobile is starting to see benefit in collecting devices at stores and sending to warehouses from there because we have changed a few device programs to allow this option. Most warranty exchanges are sent to the store to alleviate some of the stress of setting up the new phone and returning the old one. We are also allowing trade-ins to be done with some upgrade orders even if they were not started in the store. I think these are some steps in the right direction, so we will see what the future holds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I purchased mine online, which is a part of the reason I got.it a week before launch.  The store we like, is about 20 minutes from here.  There are closer locations.  We just don't have much for confidence in the staff at those locations.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Mine finally says it was picked up.  Hopefully that means it won't be long until everything is processed to complete the trade-in promotion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Mine finally says it was picked up.  Hopefully that means it won't be long until everything is processed to complete the trade-in promotion.

YAY!! Nice to see things moving along. 

If the order you did online was not a JUMP! upgrade, then you should have the option to turn in the trade-in device in the store. You don’t have to do anything special while placing the order. Once you get the new phone, you can visit the store you like to turn in the old phone. They will verify your account and order details, then process the turn-in right there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I like to own my devices so it wasn't on JUMP.  I was told about the option  to turn the trade-in in-store.  I just didn't trust the store to not get it done properly.  It was sent to Assurant through the prepaid shipping label T-Mobile provided.  I haven't heard anything else yet other than it shows it was delivered.  It never took this long for the whole procedure for the 8T.  I sent in the trade for that from Canada by UPS because I was visiting family.  Everything literally took less than a week from start until finish.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I like to own my devices so it wasn't on JUMP.  I was told about the option  to turn the trade-in in-store.  I just didn't trust the store to not get it done properly.  It was sent to Assurant through the prepaid shipping label T-Mobile provided.  I haven't heard anything else yet other than it shows it was delivered.  It never took this long for the whole procedure for the 8T.  I sent in the trade for that from Canada by UPS because I was visiting family.  Everything literally took less than a week from start until finish.  

There are resources available to our store reps that shows them how to complete those returns from start to finish, so they shouldn’t have any issue getting it done properly. Something I say when I go to a store and they seem to be struggling is “I know there are so many buttons, and it can be hard to remember which one to push. Feel free to take a minute to look up the steps. No rush. I just want to make sure it is done right the first time.” They can feel pressured to do things too quickly because they do have eyes on them from every direction and that is stressful. I honestly want them to do it right, so letting them know plainly that it is ok to take some time to make sure that happens seems to help a lot. 

It is interesting to me that things often work well and then without explanation there is a wrinkle and it causes traffic jams all the way down the line. I hope that having yours get picked up is a sign that things are getting ironed out and everything will be back to normal soon.