Solved

Using European eSim with locked phone?

• 14 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

I’ve just pre-ordered one of the new Samsung phones. In order to receive the biggest discounts from T-Mobile I needed to buy it on a 24 month installment plan, so I assume that it will be locked to T-Mobile for that time period.

I will be traveling in Europe for ~2 months, and may want to purchase a data only eSim while I’m there instead of relying solely on my T-Mobile international data.  Will European eSim work with my locked phone?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 15 February 2023, 00:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No it will not. You need to unlock it. 

Badge

Will T-Mobile unlock it if it’s not paid off?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Since it's a Android you can request a temporary unlock code.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Since it's a Android you can request a temporary unlock code.

Yes what he say is true. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Can request a month unlock twice a year. Year starts at the first request. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Can request a month unlock twice a year. Year starts at the first request. 

A former mod on this board said it could be temporary unlocked 5 times a year. I don't know if they changed it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Nice it must be a recent change. Last u heard it was twice. M

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It was @tmo_mike_c . I don't know if he still checks this board but maybe @HeavenM can confirm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for tagging me in. It never hurts to double check so no one gets stuck in a sticky situation with outdated information. Each active line can only receive 5 temporary unlocks within a 12 month period.

Badge

Thanks for tagging me in. It never hurts to double check so no one gets stuck in a sticky situation with outdated information. Each active line can only receive 5 temporary unlocks within a 12 month period.

How long can the temporary unlock be? Is it one month?

I have always used my T-Mobile free roaming data in Europe for up to 2 months, and it’s always worked fine, but I thought that since I’m getting a phone that will accept more than one eSim that I might want to try it out - plus I want to avoid getting those texts from T-Mobile telling me that I’ve used too much roaming data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

How long can the temporary unlock be? Is it one month?

I have always used my T-Mobile free roaming data in Europe for up to 2 months, and it’s always worked fine, but I thought that since I’m getting a phone that will accept more than one eSim that I might want to try it out - plus I want to avoid getting those texts from T-Mobile telling me that I’ve used too much roaming data.

You can continue to use the free roaming data and not have to worry about eSIM activations. The temporary unlock is for 30 days. You can request a new one as soon as the first expires as long as you have access to wifi.