Question

why so long for security updates?

• 26 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why does it take T-Mobile so long to put out security updates?  I have Galaxy S10 and last security patch level is April 1, 2022.  It is August.  My employer will not allow me to use my phone for work email, etc. Due to patch level being so old.  The minimum level they allow is June's security patch.  Even THAT is 2 months old.  Other carriers offered the June patch in mid to late June.  It's ridiculous that T-Mobile does not feel it necessary to release the security patches.  I have to have the ability to perform work functions on my phone, and if T-Mobile keeps handling security like a Bush league company, I will need to move to a more responsive carrier.  Hint...security updates are put out for a reason.  Anybody else getting frustrated by T-Mobile's lack of concern regarding our security updates?  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile and the other carriers have nothing to do with security patches or firmware updates for your device.  Perhaps take a look at Samsung for the answer as to why they treat T-Mobile as a less important partner than Verizon and AT&T.  Also, your device is more than 3 years old.  You can't expect monthly updates on something that is practically end of life.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Actually, you are wrong.  Patches are created by manufacturer and then provided to carriers to be modified/adjusted so as to not cause problems with that specific carriers network.  Once that is done, the carriers release the patch to their customers.  As for it being 3 years old, that shouldn't matter.  If the device is supported by the carrier, it's supported by the carrier  and they should be supporting it.  If they don't want to support a device any longer, then they will stop supporting it and provide notice.  If a carrier only wants to support the newest phones, they won't last long.  Most people don't replace their phone every year, nor should they have to.  That's just silliness.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

since were throwing out the “your wrong” stuff here..carriers only test to make sure it isnt going to wreck how the device connects to their network (this would be called Lab Entry or LE)..carriers have zero to do with update coding whether it be a security patch or large OS update..anything they need added gets sent to the OEM to be added in..

this shows you how updates are handled..security patches are handled the same way.

https://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/26/awesome-infographic-htc-shows-us-the-anatomy-of-an-android-os-update-from-pdk-to-ota/

i recommend looking at the orange 6-12 on that list.

doesnt matter which carrier it is..they all do it exactly the same..