Question

Android 12 for S20FE?

• 26 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

All models of the Samsung Galaxy S20 are listed as being “in development” for upgrade to Android 12 -- aside from the S20FE. Anyone know why? Samsung states that it has the same 3-year upgrade path as every other relatively recent phone.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

More expensive devices and flagships always come first.  Then the bargain and lower end devices follow.  

It’s out for the s20 fe.  Tmobile just has to do their part

I don't why I have to wait for tmobile to fill 12 with bloat, just give me the update

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

All updates for all devices are compiled and released by the device manufacturer.  T-Mobile's bloat is created by a third party and is submitted to Samsung along with some carrier aggregation settings and radio tuning to be included in the firmware.  Samsung, just like other companies, sign exclusive and priority agreements with carriers.  Verizon is first because they pay for that privilege.  Samsung also will take care of their U1 devices because those purchases go directly into Samsung's bottom line.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Verizon is first because they certified first.  There is no pay for privledge. Samsung corpore confirmed the update was sent to all carriers at the same time and T-Mobile is the problem.  AT&T also has released the update.  The problem is lazy T-Mobile!!  

Userlevel 1

All updates for all devices are compiled and released by the device manufacturer.  T-Mobile's bloat is created by a third party and is submitted to Samsung along with some carrier aggregation settings and radio tuning to be included in the firmware.  Samsung, just like other companies, sign exclusive and priority agreements with carriers.  Verizon is first because they pay for that privilege.  Samsung also will take care of their U1 devices because those purchases go directly into Samsung's bottom line.  

I see you keep saying things like this but you are misinformed and spreading incorrect information. Samsung has finished these updates and it's been released worldwide for every other carrier on most of their devices. The carriers have to approve each update and T-Mobile is dragging its feet. Just look at their own Android 12 page. Updates that have been out for weeks worldwide for every other carrier are still listed as "in testing" or "in development" etc. This is on T-Mobile, not Samsung.  They have done their job. Also, unlocked devices still get their OTA approved by the network they are on. It's a different version but still needs to be approved by the carriers. This is why unlocked Fold 3s and Flip 3s are still not receiving the update even after all other countries and carriers have, both unlocked and locked.