Question

Android 14 for OnePlus 9

• 9 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

OnePlus released Android 14 for the OnePlus 9 5G.

Is T-Mobile planning on supporting Android 14 on the OnePlus 9 5G?

7 replies

OnePlus released Android 14 for the OnePlus 9 5G.

Is T-Mobile planning on supporting Android 14 on the OnePlus 9 5G?

They should, seeing as how OnePlus guaranteed updates up to Android 14 on the OnePlus 9 5G LE2117.

Badge

There is no information that Samsung has provided it to many of the devices, but there does not appear to be any development from OnePlus. I hope T-Mobile gives the update to OnePlus 9 Pro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is up to OPPO, the owner of the OnePlus brand to deliver it.  My OnePlus 8T has Android 14, as bad as it is basically being ColorOS under the name of OxygenOS.  

It is up to OPPO, the owner of the OnePlus brand to deliver it.  My OnePlus 8T has Android 14, as bad as it is basically being ColorOS under the name of OxygenOS.  

Once the manufacturer, in this case OnePlus/OPPO, finishes developing the OS update it's up to the carriers when and if they decide to actually push it to their customers after testing for bugs. If you had bought it directly from OnePlus, then it would be the sole responsibility of the manufacturer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Once the manufacturer, in this case OnePlus/OPPO, finishes developing the OS update it's up to the carriers when and if they decide to actually push it to their customers after testing for bugs. If you had bought it directly from OnePlus, then it would be the sole responsibility of the manufacturer.

It doesn't work that way.  I was a beta tester for OnePlus right up until OPPO took over.  They only have two teams of a handful of people to develop their updates.  The regular and the T series.  They sometimes alternate but the newest device is also first, then you have the previous model, and so on.  That process was supposed to carry over to OPPO.  Carriers might test radio firmware, carrier aggregation, and add in their third party created bloat, but that is all done before OnePlus/OPPO pushes the update.  

It doesn't work that way.  I was a beta tester for OnePlus right up until OPPO took over.  They only have two teams of a handful of people to develop their updates.  The regular and the T series.  They sometimes alternate but the newest device is also first, then you have the previous model, and so on.  That process was supposed to carry over to OPPO.  Carriers might test radio firmware, carrier aggregation, and add in their third party created bloat, but that is all done before OnePlus/OPPO pushes the update.  

That doesn't make sense. How were you enrolled in beta testing on a T-Mobile variant? Unless you converted over to EU or Global ROM you can't use the OnePlus Local Update option. The manufacturers release their Android OS update to end users and to the carriers. The carriers then modify it to suit their needs and test it before eventually rolling it out to their customers. In rare occasions the manufacturer may not push it to the carriers, or the carriers may not end up releasing it if it's not financially in their interest to do so. What you're describing is how it works if you purchased a non-carrier branded OnePlus. As for T series, there is no OnePlus 9 T-series. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That doesn't make sense. How were you enrolled in beta testing on a T-Mobile variant? Unless you converted over to EU or Global ROM you can't use the OnePlus Local Update option. The manufacturers release their Android OS update to end users and to the carriers. The carriers then modify it to suit their needs and test it before eventually rolling it out to their customers. In rare occasions the manufacturer may not push it to the carriers, or the carriers may not end up releasing it if it's not financially in their interest to do so. What you're describing is how it works if you purchased a non-carrier branded OnePlus. As for T series, there is no OnePlus 9 T-series. 

Because OnePlus does all variants, carrier being last.  I actually had one for each, 8T+ 5G and a NA Global direct from OnePlus.  

There being no 9T, is when the teams switched, because of how they alternate with each release, so the T team worked on the development for the 10's and the team that worked on the 9's development worked on the 10T.  

Carriers do not develop for Android and iOS.  That is all contracted out for apps and app development and the manufacturers are responsible for the firmware and software on their devices.  Even carrier variants.  

If you look at the old OnePlus boards, if they still exist.  You will see threads where OnePlus was looking for testers specifically for carrier variants.