Solved

Android: Google Carrier Services app?

• 8 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I recently received a T-Mobile branded OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren. I used Google’s transfer function to set it up copying files and apps from my Moto G7 Power. This resulted in several duplicate apps, including Contacts, Messaging, etc. I deleted the non-OnePlus versions of these apps, however there’s one app that copied over that I don’t know about. It’s Google Carrier Services. The description in the Play Store reads, “Carrier Services enables the latest communication services from mobile carriers, including battery-optimizations and support for enhanced features in the Android Messages app.”

I don’t know if this serves any purpose under the Oxygen OS or not. Will I give up anything by deleting it?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 9 November 2020, 00:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is used for RCS, some carrier aggregation, and other carrier specific functions.  Personally, I would keep it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

OK. I was curious about it because it has no GUI. Tap on the icon and it just takes you to the settings page. Seemed like peculiar behavior to me.

Specifically, the T-Mobile OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren did not come with Google Carrier Services and does not need it for anything. 

Most phones need it for RCS messaging to work in the Google Messages app, amongst other things. However, it seems T-Mobile or maybe OnePlus has included that IMS functionality elsewhere on this particular model. You can install it but it will never be used for anything. Doesn't hurt but doesn't help either. 

Maybe if you didn't have Tmobile as your carrier, it would start to serve a purpose. Not sure. But with T-Mobile, completely useless on this particular phone.

RCS is one of the features in GCS, but there’s a lot of behind the scenes stuff that this app does with Android.  It’s not necessary, but OnePlus installs what is technically a custom ROM, not just a skinned ROM like Samsung phones, and they may have incorporated the benefits of the GCS app into the ROM (I haven’t looked into it), but it’s highly unlikely installing GCS will cause problems.  

One thing to note is GCS allows new features, like RCS, to be pushed to the phone.  So if you don’t have that app, new Google features and battery saving (RIL sleep modes) updates to Android won’t be pushed to you, unless they’re bundled in the OnePlus software update.  Google is moving away from small updates like that in OTAs, and trying to compartmentalize them in APK updates, like GCS.

Specifically, the T-Mobile OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren did not come with Google Carrier Services and does not need it for anything 😀