Question

Android Radio

• 28 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have an Android Radio in my car and I am debating on adding a sim card to it.  How can I find out if the IMEI will work on the t-mobile network and what type of plan is it eligible for?

8 replies

You need to contact T-Mobile support with the device's IMEI. They'll verify compatibility and suggest suitable plans for your Android Radio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The IMEI should be in the About Phone section of the Settings.  The manufacturer of the vehicle should know the make and model of the radio and what cellular bands it supports.  T-Mobile primarily uses bands 2, 4, 12, 25, 41, 66, and 71.

Badge

The IMEI should be in the About Phone section of the Settings.  The manufacturer of the vehicle should know the make and model of the radio and what cellular bands it supports.  T-Mobile primarily uses bands 2, 4, 12, 25, 41, 66, and 71.

I have the IMEI number and tried that in T-Mobile’s IMEI checker and it said unknown.  Likewise, do you know if the radio is treated as a phone, tablet, or smartwatch in regards to plans if I decide to add it?  Right now I’m tethering to my phone.  This is an aftermarket (made in china) radio for my car so the mfg of car has no idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The IMEI of the device doesn't really matter.  It's just a general check that isn't always accurate when checking a devices capabilities.  You would need a data SIM unless that radio has phone capabilities that would allow you to have a specific phone number to use in your vehicle.

Badge

The IMEI of the device doesn't really matter.  It's just a general check that isn't always accurate when checking a devices capabilities.  You would need a data SIM unless that radio has phone capabilities that would allow you to have a specific phone number to use in your vehicle.

Thanks - Are the tablet plans the only data SIM plans?  I don’t need any voice/phone # on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Tablet plans are data only as well.

I received a SIM card yesterday for our android radio in our Sequoia. It sees the T-Mobile signal but nothing works. Called to verify or activate the SIM and they said we can not use it and the radio is not compatible with T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I received a SIM card yesterday for our android radio in our Sequoia. It sees the T-Mobile signal but nothing works. Called to verify or activate the SIM and they said we can not use it and the radio is not compatible with T-Mobile.

You would need to set the APN settings for data to work.  You should be able to do that in the devices settings.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#subhead2