Question

Big Mystery

• 8 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I bought a brand new, carrier unlocked phone from Samsung directly and decided to sell it. I am not a TMobile customer as of now. I use Mint mobile personally only because it is cheaper for me. I decided to sell the phone to a used, online electronics store and they quoted me a ridiculously low price. They argued that it was still under the trade and program, which is understandable and that was their reason for the low price. I declined it and they seemed upset because I asked for them to please send it back. They even argued with me via email. After 15 minutes of emailing back and forth, they agreed to send it back. I had a bad feeling about it at that point. I checked the tracking number and they had sent it to the post office at 6:11pm. However, it was reported stolen by a TMobile customer on that very same day at 6:45pm. Hmmmm. On the IMEI report, it states that the phone was TMobile USA BLACKLISTED. I called TMobile and asked how it is possible for this to be done and nobody has any clue. They ran the IMEI number and NOTHING. Has anyone else experienced something like this???

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There is other threads about Verizon blacklisting phones that were ever used on their network and Verizon stated human error with the imei input.

Badge

Interesting... Yeah I'm willing to bet that the store did that to me out of spite, but I can't prove it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

highly doubt that..the amount of flack they would get for doing such a thing wouldnt be worth it..especially if it could be proven that your info was sent in by that store specifically.

Badge

What could happen to them if it's proven? Curious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no one will know unless its proven.

what makes you assume it was someone in your local store? did you have any dealings with them what so ever with this phone?

Badge

Did you read my post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

did you? you said it was reported as lost/stolen by TMO and said that a store did it out of spite..yet what would be their purpose for doing this to you? did you go in and argue with them previously? did the company that you were about to sell it to fire in the lost info out of spite since you were demanding it back /no longer selling it to them and the TMO side was only doing what was reported to them?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I bought a brand new, carrier unlocked phone from Samsung directly and decided to sell it. I am not a TMobile customer as of now. I use Mint mobile personally only because it is cheaper for me. I decided to sell the phone to a used, online electronics store and they quoted me a ridiculously low price. They argued that it was still under the trade and program, which is understandable and that was their reason for the low price. 

If you bought straight form the manufacture, who’s Trade in Program was it supposed to be under, and did you still owe any money on this phone? Trying to wrap my head around this.