Solved

buy prepaid t mobile card to travel to USA

• 22 February 2023
  • 50 replies

Badge
Voy a viajar a USA (costa oeste) y me han recomendado que compre una sim de prepago, pero para no tener que buscar una tienda cuando llegue a LAX queria saber si podria comprarla de otra forma ; espero su respuesta  muchas gracias
icon

Best answer by HeavenM 23 February 2023, 00:32

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Voice over LTE.  Without compatible VoLTE, you will not be able to make and receive calls with those devices on US networks.

Badge
Voy a viajar a USA (costa oeste) y me han recomendado que compre una sim de prepago, pero para no tener que buscar una tienda cuando llegue a LAX queria saber si podria comprarla de otra forma ; espero su respuesta  muchas gracias
If it's the 3 questions: "How do you buy a T-Mobile SIM card? Will your phone work with a T-Mobile SIM card while you're in the US? Can you use that phone with the T-Mobile SIM card? from your original carrier on our network through roaming?"For our safety I think that 1 (I could get it as you say) and 2 is taking too high a risk, so it's better not to buy it, because how can I know if my oppo has volte? but if T Mobile says no, I guess that alone already answers. Regarding the 3, I have also found 5 bands/frequencies that I had already located since last year, but what surprised me is that the frequencies have nothing to do with the compatibility of my mobile with a sim from T mobile. What interests me the most is to know if the data will work with a Spanish sim that is not the one I have but from which I have bought a sim that has roaming with the US. Thank you
Badge

Voice over LTE.  Without compatible VoLTE, you will not be able to make and receive calls with those devices on US networks.

I don't know what LTE means, but what I reiterate that at least we would be interested in knowing the truth is if we can navigate the west coast with data (and with it WhatsApp).If it is necessary that I consult T mobile directly and you can provide me with an email, I can send you an email with the question. Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try contacting tmobile support using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter. The technical support may have a better answer.

Badge
is that I have already done it and they tell me that my mobile will not work, but I do not understand it because the bands / frequencies of the oppo that I have are 5 out of 6. And I suppose, I only suppose that one thing is that if I put the imei on the web from T mobile tells me that my mobile is not compatible and another that with another sim I will be able to surf the internet when I am in the US
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The big thing is Tmobile has there own type of VoLte while most phones that aren't Tmobile uses the default standard. Tmobile won't activate any phones that can't use their VoLte. VoLte is being able to call and use data at the same time.

Badge

The big thing is Tmobile has there own type of VoLte while most phones that aren't Tmobile uses the default standard. Tmobile won't activate any phones that can't use their VoLte. VoLte is being able to call and use data at the same time.

but if I consult the frequencies of T mobile with the model of my mobile it says that it will capture 5 out of 6. And I have found out that trying to buy a T mobile sim card my mobile could not couple it, that will cause my mobile does not work in the US?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try posting this question on the XDA forum. Maybe someone there has an answer.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/volte-and-wifi-calling-in-us.4437599/

Badge

Try posting this question on the XDA forum. Maybe someone there has an answer.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/volte-and-wifi-calling-in-us.4437599/

Thanks, I'll do that, because if I have 5 out of 6 T Mobile frequencies with my mobile and my imei tells me that T Mobile is incompatible, with another SIM from Spain with roaming in the US, will I be able to navigate without problems? Can't anyone guarantee this? thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you would need to confirm this with that Spanish company..LTE=4G/5g data...which for TMO the phone must be able to make data calls (voice over LTE)..since your phone does not have this it will not work with TMO..you’ll need to check with that Spanish company to see who they have roaming agreements with and if they have a IMEI checker on their end to see if your phone will work or not.

Badge
I have asked for help here because the T mobile community has put up your website, because what we do not understand is why none of the mobile phones we have tell us that the t mobile page is not compatible, and what we want to know is if The mere fact that the t mobila page says that our phones are not compatible to carry your sim, we wonder if we travel with phones with a Spanish sim card that has roaming in the US, it will work or not. thank you
Badge

you would need to confirm this with that Spanish company..LTE=4G/5g data...which for TMO the phone must be able to make data calls (voice over LTE)..since your phone does not have this it will not work with TMO..you’ll need to check with that Spanish company to see who they have roaming agreements with and if they have a IMEI checker on their end to see if your phone will work or not.

I have spoken with OPPO and with the SIM card company and both confirmed that my IMEI (mobile) and SIM support Volte without any problem; please can you help me
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are a handful of VoLTE implementations, all of which are not cross-comoatible.  Unless they specified it was compatible with T-Mobile USA specifically, which I doubt they will because the device isn't even sold here.  Feel free to try it though when you arrive.  Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have spoken with OPPO and with the SIM card company and both confirmed that my IMEI (mobile) and SIM support Volte without any problem; please can you help me

The information that you shared yesterday said "Sorry, we are having technical difficulties. We are unable to check the compatibility of this device at this time, please try again later. The device name is not available." This does not mean that your device is not compatible, but that we could not find information about the device through that checker. You have done a great job by researching the device and technologies to see if it is compatible. We require a device to have certain frequencies and VoLTE. Since your devices have that, you should be able to roam with no problems.

I know you are looking for a clean cut yes or no, but these technologies can be nuanced and service cannot be guaranteed for all phones in all areas. The information you provided makes me optimistic that things will work fine, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. 

Badge

There are a handful of VoLTE implementations, all of which are not cross-comoatible.  Unless they specified it was compatible with T-Mobile USA specifically, which I doubt they will because the device isn't even sold here.  Feel free to try it though when you arrive.  Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

With all my love, I feel free, but it's hard to feel that way when you're afraid in this case that it won't work. greetings
Badge

The information that you shared yesterday said "Sorry, we are having technical difficulties. We are unable to check the compatibility of this device at this time, please try again later. The device name is not available." This does not mean that your device is not compatible, but that we could not find information about the device through that checker. You have done a great job by researching the device and technologies to see if it is compatible. We require a device to have certain frequencies and VoLTE. Since your devices have that, you should be able to roam with no problems.

I know you are looking for a clean cut yes or no, but these technologies can be nuanced and service cannot be guaranteed for all phones in all areas. The information you provided makes me optimistic that things will work fine, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. 

The strangest thing, apart from the fact that today they told me that I had a volte, is that last year when I initially had to travel to the US, I changed my mobile because the previous one was on a page that allows you to see if your mobile is compatible with the frequencies of the US operators told me that it was not, and this one tells me that it is; in 5 out of 6 in the case of T mobile frequencies, that's why I'm surprised that now that the frequencies say that they are optimal when I go to verify the compatibility of my mobile indicating the IMEI on the T Mobile page, it tells me no. That's why I'm wrong. In any case and if nothing else occurs to you, thank you very much to the entire community
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The strangest thing, apart from the fact that today they told me that I had a volte, is that last year when I initially had to travel to the US, I changed my mobile because the previous one was on a page that allows you to see if your mobile is compatible with the frequencies of the US operators told me that it was not, and this one tells me that it is; in 5 out of 6 in the case of T mobile frequencies, that's why I'm surprised that now that the frequencies say that they are optimal when I go to verify the compatibility of my mobile indicating the IMEI on the T Mobile page, it tells me no. That's why I'm wrong. In any case and if nothing else occurs to you, thank you very much to the entire community

You need to find a person who's currently using that phone with Tmobile, which is why I suggested the XDA forums. You can also try the reddit Tmobile board. Until there's no firm answer.

Badge

You need to find a person who's currently using that phone with Tmobile, which is why I suggested the XDA forums. You can also try the reddit Tmobile board. Until there's no firm answer.

But that is impossible to find, that has the same model as me; what is the reddit tmobile board
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

But that is impossible to find, that has the same model as me; what is the reddit tmobile board

if you are unable to locate the same device as yours being used through any of the places that have been recommended to you to check then that might be a sign that it just wont work here in the states.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/

Badge

if you are unable to locate any other devices being used through any of the places that have been recommended to you to check then that might be a sign that it just wont work here in the states.

I don't understand what you're saying, if I can't locate another device? where ? What places have you recommended? I do not understand anything I'm sorry
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

were you not recommended to look at XDA forums for the same device you are using to see if they have any answers?

Badge
yes, thanks I already did it but they don't tell me anything
Badge
I have explained my case and I have asked for help and they have asked me "Help with what specifically.!"
Badge

Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like we have three questions. How can you buy a T-Mobile SIM card? Will your phone work with a T-Mobile SIM card while you are in the US? Can you use that phone with your original carrier SIM card on our network through roaming?

T-Mobile SIM cards are available to purchase through many retailers. I don’t think Walmart and Target are international so Amazon may be the best option. Just make sure you purchase a United States version and not the German version. 

Network compatibility can be confusing and changes as technology evolves. Hopefully I can shed a little light on things to make it easier. Cell towers broadcast frequencies and your phone has to have the right antenna to pick up what is broadcast. When your phone picks up the frequency, the software in your phone has to be able to process it to actually send and receive calls and text messages.

1. I found the specs for the oppo A54S online and it should be able to pick up 5 of the frequencies that T-Mobile uses. 
  2.  What we can’t verify is if your phone is capable of VoLTE. If it does have VoLTE, then you can get the T-Mobile SIM card and use your oppo A54S while you travel. If it doesn't, then that phone would not get service with the T-Mobile SIM card. 

If your cellphone provider and T-Mobile have a roaming agreement, then it is likely that you will get some kind of service while in the US. It is hard to say what will and won’t work because the phone is not built with the US network top of mind. You will most likely be able to send and receive text messages and get some data. If the phone is not VoLTE capable, then calls may not go through at all with either SIM card. 

It is a bit of a long answer but hopefully this helps. 

Please, one final question: from what I see I have 3 options. 1) buy a new mobile, an option that if it is only to travel to the US, I do not see it as highly recommended because I already have 2 although neither of the 2 the T Mobile page says that they will work for me 2) risk seeing what happens when I am in USA 3) This is the main question, if I go with my current phone (which T Mobile says is incompatible) and with my SIM that does not have roaming in the US, when I am in a hotel and I connect with my mobile and my sim to The hotel's Wi-Fi won't be able to work on my cell phone either?I hope your help.Thank you