Question

Changing Network Mode Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G

• 22 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Greetings T-mobile community!

I have bought a used (T-mobile) Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G from a friend of mine and when I tried to change Network mode (from automatic to 4G or 5G only) I couldn’t as the option to do so was not available (was blured/grayed).

side notes:

1- I’m using a sim card from different operator.

2- By going to Settings- Connection- Mobile Networks, you should be able to see the option to change Network mode.

I appreciate your kind support with this matter.

Regards,

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What are you trying to accomplish?  There should be an LTE only mode, if the carrier permits it.  Carrier restrictions control what options are available in the Network Settings.  Sometimes, the Samsung Band Selection app from the Google Play Store can unlock and give you access to more options. 

5G only is not something I would think most carriers permit for the simple reason that 5G SA is not available everywhere and that some 5G SA implementations piggyback on VoLTE.  

Badge

What are you trying to accomplish?  There should be an LTE only mode, if the carrier permits it.  Carrier restrictions control what options are available in the Network Settings.  Sometimes, the Samsung Band Selection app from the Google Play Store can unlock and give you access to more options. 

5G only is not something I would think most carriers permit for the simple reason that 5G SA is not available everywhere and that some 5G SA implementations piggyback on VoLTE.  

Thank you for your reply,

I want the flexibility to choose between 2G/3G and 4G/5G, I used to own Samsung Note 10 Plus and I had the option to to choose the network mode based on my needs (data usage or making calls) using the same sim card and same carrier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

2G networks are going to be shutdown soon in the few places they are available and the 3G network sunset for all US carriers was last year.  In some rare spots, there still might be 3G available where no other coverage exists but those spots will eventually be upgraded.  Even Canadian carriers are sunsetting their 3G networks next year. 

On my s23 Ultra, I can turn off 2G and 5G within the standard menu but other options require access to some of the Engineering menus.  Doing so can prevent your device from accessing cellular networks if you do not know what you are doing.  If you want to learn on how to do so.  Check out the Samsung s20 subforum on the XDA Forum.

Badge

2G networks are going to be shutdown soon in the few places they are available and the 3G network sunset for all US carriers was last year.  In some rare spots, there still might be 3G available where no other coverage exists but those spots will eventually be upgraded.  Even Canadian carriers are sunsetting their 3G networks next year. 

On my s23 Ultra, I can turn off 2G and 5G within the standard menu but other options require access to some of the Engineering menus.  Doing so can prevent your device from accessing cellular networks if you do not know what you are doing.  If you want to learn on how to do so.  Check out the Samsung s20 subforum on the XDA Forum.

I agree with your point about 2G/3G networks. 

The only question at hand is why T-mobile is disabiling this option in my S20 Ultra?

I mean I had this option on my Samsung Note 10 Plus that I bought from Samsung Store but when I bought this second hand S20 Ultra it didn’t give me this option and I’m not quite sure how can I go around that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I agree with your point about 2G/3G networks. 

The only question at hand is why T-mobile is disabiling this option in my S20 Ultra?

I mean I had this option on my Samsung Note 10 Plus that I bought from Samsung Store but when I bought this second hand S20 Ultra it didn’t give me this option and I’m not quite sure how can I go around that.

The OS adapts to whatever SIM is in there.  All carriers are restricting more options from customers.  As a T-Mobile customer, I don't have the option either but at the same time.  Options have also been disappearing with each new device also.  We are being forced into the experience in this case, what Samsung and T-Mobile want us to have.  If you pop in an AT&T SIM, you might even have less options than you would with your T-Mobile SIM.