Question

Chatbots

Badge

Chatbots has appeared on my One Plus phone SMS at the top of texts yesterday. I want to delete it. How?

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What OnePlus device do you have?  Are you using the stock OnePlus messaging app?  Nothing like that on either of my OnePlus 7 Pro's. 

Badge

I do have OnePlus 7T Pro

Why add services without letting us :

1. know
  2.  Be able to disable or delete it. 
  3. have no information online about this
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

1. know

if youre using the stock messaging app then you will need to bring this up with the manufacturer..the carrier will have zip to do with the stock stuff on the phone itself.

Userlevel 1

1. know

if youre using the stock messaging app then you will need to bring this up with the manufacturer..the carrier will have zip to do with the stock stuff on the phone itself.

I do not believe this is entirely accurate. Sure, yes, OnePlus creates the software but, then it’s shipped to T-mobile for further modification before being released as an OTA update. Which adds in their T-mobile apps and features. Over on the OnePlus forum, no one else is having the chatbot show up other than phones that where purchased through T-mobile.

A conclusion could then be made that if OnePlus did indeed make this change in software it would be on ALL OnePlus devices not only the T-mobile variants.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so going off that..whos messaging app is it? have any of you pulled it up to see?

Badge

It was on the OnePlus SMS.  I removed the stock SMS and Chatbots went away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

this ~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^~~~ is why i mentioned if its stock then it wasnt a choice by the carrier..no manufacturer is going to make random changes for only one carrier..its a all or not deal with that stuff.

the above portion was for the others...not you dfwfern lol.

this part is for you though lol

~~~vvvvvvvv~~~~

which one did you end up using by the way? i used to use either Textra or Handcent...but Googles texting app has grown on me with the last couple devices i have owned..

Userlevel 1

Again if this was a OnePlus thing ALL OnePlus phones would have the chatbots.

Is there a better explanation as to why only the T-mobile variants of the OnePlus phones are the only ones reporting chatbots showing up in the messaging app?

Do we think OnePlus with their own money, time, engineering created a special version of their messaging app just for the T-mobile variants? Who do we think would have told them to do that?

Software for all brands of phones (OnePlus, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc..) is generically built and then sent to all the different cell phone service providers to add their own flavor and apps which is why the build versions differ from T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc... etc… for the same exact phone.

The same things happens with computers you buy a dell you get a load of “bloatware” that dell installed and modified specifically for their products.

We’re not here to argue and point fingers at providers vs manufactures or discuss the nuances of who did or didn’t do what.
We are all collectively here trying to find a solution to a problem. 

Badge

this ~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^~~~ is why i mentioned if its stock then it wasnt a choice by the carrier..no manufacturer is going to make random changes for only one carrier..its a all or not deal with that stuff.

the above portion was for the others...not you dfwfern lol.

this part is for you though lol

~~~vvvvvvvv~~~~

which one did you end up using by the way? i used to use either Textra or Handcent...but Googles texting app has grown on me with the last couple devices i have owned..

so I used Google, easy default for this non-techie

Userlevel 1

I suspect this starting to be a larger question with other brands of phone seeing the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/comments/hevevj/chatbots_on_tmobile/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Seems to be related to RCS functionality on devices.

Installation of a non-default chat app is a workaround not a fix. As the default messaging app cannot be removed (with in The confines of maintaining a warranty) from the phone only disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I suspect this starting to be a larger question with other brands of phone seeing the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/comments/hevevj/chatbots_on_tmobile/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Seems to be related to RCS functionality on devices.

Installation of a non-default chat app is a workaround not a fix. As the default messaging app cannot be removed (with in The confines of maintaining a warranty) from the phone only disabled.

huh...weird...who woulda thunk it was not something a specific carrier decided to sneak into a stock app on a specific phone..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As mentioned, Cellular Service Providers have very little to do with any software and firmware sent out to any device.  T-Mobile might have some input with their bloatware, network aggregation, APN, and a little more, but over all, the OEM does the bulk of it all.  

I have picked up a OnePlus 8 5G to have a little more input with OnePlus betals and alphas across devices.  The Chatbot thing does not show up on either of my OnePlus 7 Pro’s.  It is app version specific though.  Exporting the OnePlus Messages app from my OnePlus 7 Pro to overwrite the one on the 8 5G, removes the chatbots at the top of the Messages screen.  You can find earlier versions of the app to install from various app mirrors, if this annoys you that much.  

Chatbots has appeared on my One Plus phone SMS at the top of texts yesterday. I want to delete it. How?

I do not know anything about One Plus, but on my Samsung S20 U, that dang chat bot thing showed up today!  Does anyone have a "Cliff's Notes" style way of explaining how to get rid of the dang thing on a Samsung?!

Hey, 

I noticed it today Sept. 9th. I selected it and a disclaimer provided by Samsung states that the chatbot service is provided by T-mobile and not Samsung ect. 

I agreed to the terms and conditions. The next screen opened and it only has a search option. I typed in a few letters and it displays a few chatbot apps or services. 

No information on who developed them, the country, security precautions provided, review ratings ect. 

I've been researching this and found some interesting articles but I'm going to leave it alone for now. Doesn't seem like a very good way of introducing chatbots to thousands of people. 

CLF 

Hey, 

I noticed it today Sept. 9th. I selected it and a disclaimer provided by Samsung states that the chatbot service is provided by T-mobile and not Samsung ect. 

I agreed to the terms and conditions. The next screen opened and it only has a search option. I typed in a few letters and it displays a few chatbot apps or services. 

No information on who developed them, the country, security precautions provided, review ratings ect. I'm going to leave it alone for now. 

CLF 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

same scenario...Samsung uses their own messaging app….which carries have zip to do with...if this were the case then Google Messages would have the same thing going on with it..

Actually I just read the disclaimer from Samsung saying it's 100% TMobile and not the manufacturer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Actually I just read the disclaimer from Samsung saying it's 100% TMobile and not the manufacturer. 

if that were the case then you would see it on all their other devices.. since the OP and Samsung use their own texting apps and not Googles like many others use that points right back at the manufacturers..

This is not just a OnePlus phone issue. I have a 9+ and Chatbot just showed up with the last update because I have had my phone for 2 plus years and it has never been in my contacts. Now, when I click on it to delete it I get a “agreement box,” where the only option is to agree… (insert side eye here). The box says, “You hereby acknowledge and agree that: The Chatbot Service is governed by T-Mobile, and not by Samsung. Your use of Chatbot Service is governed by T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions, and that any information or personal data you provide to T-Mobile will be subject to T-Mobile’s Privacy Policy. Samsung expressly disclaims any liability in connection with Chatbot Service and its content (or your use thereof), to the extent permitted under applicable law.

T-Mobile is trash for this.. I am not agreeing to this garbage. How yall gonna act putting crap on my phone that I did not agree too and that doesn't explain what its doing on my phone or give me the option to disable it.

T-Mobile done merged with Sprint and now they think they are the baddest in the land. This is some bull****. Any help on how to get rid of this spyware without downloading a new text messaging app (cuz that exactly what it is) would be helpful.

Userlevel 1
Badge

T Mobile;

So how to remove the garbage, unwanted , useless chatbots from our phones??????😡😡😡😤🙄🤮

First off, this topic is definitely not solved. This is absolutely a t mobile problem. I have a OnePlus on Sprint, and they texted me last week and told me to request a free SIM card upgrade to make sure I'm getting full use of the Sprint T-Mobile 5G Network.

I installed the new SIM card today and it puts this chatbot thing at the top of my text messages and I can't get rid of it and it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen a company do

Userlevel 1
Badge

on the old sprint network, they would , within 24 hours, download bloatware apps and wipe out your already set up desktop without your permission or knowledge.  

i also have a refurb revell 5g and that phone has an option in the messages menu to disable chatbots !   the much more expensive t mobile one plus phones do NOT.

That is in addition to a delay of weeks or longer passing along updates after the unlocked version gets them.

I have a Note2020 Ultra and I have Chatbots.  I don't think this is a Opelousas thing as is being suggested. 

Also, why is this marked solved?  This is definitely not solved.