Question

Custom ringtone / text tone TCL 30 XE 5G ?

• 3 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

The TCL 30 XE 5G doesn’t allow for setting of custom ringtones any longer. Just got the January 2023 security update today.  In ‘Sound & vibration’ tap ‘Phone ringtone and vibrate’, tap ‘Custom ringtone’, nothing happens. I can choose stock ringtones only. Ditto for Notification tones. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you tried reaching out to TCL's Support to see if they are aware of the issue and have a fix or work-around for it?

Badge

TCL says since this phone is a T-Mobile exclusive T-Mobile has to support it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile supports its compatibility with the network through carrier aggregation, modem tuning, and through T-Mobile's apps.  OS updates and Security updates come from TCL.

Badge

Again, TCL said they won’t support the phone because it’s a T-Mo exclusive. They were surprised T-Mo support referred me to them. Just for fun I tried TCL phone support tonight at 7pm Eastern Time U.S. I waited 45 minutes with no answer. It seems TCL is unreachable but see above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried using a 3rd party app?

Badge

Well well. TCL answered at the 48th minute. This time they did give support for this device. They had me reset app preferences in Settings / System and the link to set Custom sounds in Sound settings works again. 

Thankyou so much, I've been up all night (not trying to do this) and know I would have a much harder time trying to fall asleep knowing that I haven't accomplished my goal. You have made it so I can go to sleep now, because this worked for me too. Thankyou so much!!! ^⁠U^

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Well well. TCL answered at the 48th minute. This time they did give support for this device. They had me reset app preferences in Settings / System and the link to set Custom sounds in Sound settings works again. 

thats because they make the phone...and are the ones that do any bug fixing and or update fixes for their phones whether it be one of their own devices or one that they made exclusive for a company..its still their phone. carriers dont make updates nor create fixes..