Question

Fold 5 hearing aid compatibility (ASHA)

• 8 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Does anyone use the Samsung Fold 5 with hearing aids? I want to make sure that the Fold 5 is ASHA (Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids) compatible so that it can stream calls to my hearing aids, but a search of the Samsung Fold 5 manual does not find any matches for ASHA and I can not find any email address for technical questions for Samsung.

Has anyone paired their hearing aids using ASHA to the Fold 5?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hearing Aid compatibility is baked into Android accessibility natively.  

Badge

I don’t think that hearing aid compatibility is not the same thing as the ability to stream to the device. Just like bluetooth connectivity does not mean the ability to stream to the phone. I have an Android phone (Android 10) that can bluetooth connect to my hearing aids, but can not steam to them. The bluetooth connectivity only means that the app for the hearing aids can connect to them and control the volume and settings.

There is a list of ASHA compatible Android phones and some Samsung phones are on it, but the Fold 5 is not. I don’t know if that is because it is not ASHA compatible or because the docs are too old to list the Fold 5. That is why I asked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

per its specs this is what they have listed.

Hearing Aid Compatibility
M3, T3
Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The thing with what they are interested in, is more than just for calls.  Hearing Aid compatibility for calls is one thing but in most cases, hearing aids will not work like headphones or earbuds where you can stream music and video sound to them.  You would basically be looking for hearing aids that can also be paired with other devices, such as a TV, AVR, and portable music player, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there! I have seen a few different electronic devices that can connect directly to hearing aids to make things easier to hear. It is so cool! The settings that I show on the Fold 5 are the same as the Fold 4 

• Hearing aid support
    • Hearing aid compatibility (On / Off)
    • Bluetooth hearing aids

I did a quick Google search and I found a list that included the Z Fold 4, but not the Z Fold 5. It makes sense to me if the settings are the same, then so are the capabilities and the Z Fold 5 is not included only because the list has not been updated. It looks like there may also be some apps out there that can help with this also. 

Hope this helps!