Question

Has anyone experienced this?

• 15 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I went to a T-Mobile store in Santa Rosa, CA to upgrade to a new phone. Everything was going great, new phone upgraded and downloaded old phone, even tipped the gentleman.

I drove home never opening my T-Mobile contents other than just the phone, which I put on charge in the car as my drive home is a two hour drive, Clearlake, CA 95422.

When I got home I was going thru my contents of my T-Mobile bag. I noticed that the old SIM card to my old phone was missing, so I called T-Mobile and filed a complaint.

They told me I would have to drive back to the T-Mobile store to retrieve my SIM card.

I am a disabled Veteran from Iraq, everything on my phone is my information only; bank account, VA health records and so on.

Why did the clerk keep my SIM card?

Why didn't T-Mobile investigate this, this is Stealing/ Fraud?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A SIM can't store that much information.  Are you referring to a micro SD card?  Most new devices do not take micros SD cards.  Have you checked your old device to see if it is still in it?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the sim card tells your phone which carriers network it needs to look for..it doesnt store your personal info..not overly sure why being a vet has to be brought into this..they didnt exactly see that you were a vet and decided to up and screw you over..

depending on how old your previous phone was..if it was 5G capable then its a safe bet to say your old sim card is now in your new phone..if your previous phone was NOT 5G capable then yeh..no need for the sim card anymore..it must be upgraded.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

A SIM can't store that much information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_card

Most SIM cards store a number of SMS messages and phone book contacts. It stores the contacts in simple "name and number" pairs.

It can contain a very small amount of text data, like a GMail address and or some basic phone contact information (name and number) of contacts saved to the SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A SIM can't store that much information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_card

Most SIM cards store a number of SMS messages and phone book contacts. It stores the contacts in simple "name and number" pairs.

It can contain a very small amount of text data, like a GMail address and or some basic phone contact information (name and number) of contacts saved to the SIM.

The OP sounds like they are storing a lot more than just that.  Bank info  VA records, etc.  

Badge

I keep l very organized with all my data and personal belongings.

I am a Retired Dissabled combat wounded Veteran.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management.

I refuse to answer your inate question of whether or not I checked my old phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I keep l very organized with all my data and personal belongings.

I am a Retired Dissabled combat wounded Veteran.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management.

I refuse to answer your inate question of whether or not I checked my old phone.

Answer or not.  If you didn’t do your due diligence before leaving the store.  It’s probably been tossed in the recycling or trash by now.