Question

Is T-Mobile being really slow about rolling out Android updates to Pixel 6 phones?

• 22 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am getting messages from Google warning me that my T-Mobile phone hasn’t had a security update in over 90 days.  If I call T-Mobile support they direct me to Google support but if I contact Google support they direct me to T-Mobile support.  But I believe I have finally come to understand that the last T-Mobile update was over 90 days ago and the Pixel 6 phones and Pixel 6 Pro phones have not had Android 12 updates since October.  What is taking so long?  Google had problems and it has been a terrible rollout for Pixel 6 phones but they have had January and February updates out now and T-Mobile has not made them available.  It seems like a terrible rollout by both Google and T-Mobile.  

Are others having this experience?  

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Updates for your Pixel device come directly from Google.  If your device isn’t recognizing that there is an update available.  Unfortunately, a factory reset is probably the easiest way to solve the issue.  You can also download the full factory image for the latest firmware directly from Google to flash, if you feel comfortable doing so.  

Badge

Hi, thanks for checking in.  I’ve done factory resets a number of times with T-Mobile support.  Looking back, I’m wondering why that was recommended given that the latest T-Mobile version of software and security updates are from November 5th and that’s what I have.  So I actually seem to have the latest T-Mobile released versions of Android 12 (Build SD1A.210817.036.A8) and Security (Android security update: November 5,2021).  I get a message from Google telling me to Update this device because I am at risk.  But T-Mobile’s last update was over 90 days ago.  Not getting updates with a new flagship phone is disturbing.  I don’t want to do a flash update.

Normally I would have given the same advice as you did because a factory reset would seem to be a way to force things.  But there’s nothing to force.  One of those, “When you get there there’s no there there” situations.  It took a lot of research to understand this because all the online articles such as androidpolice.com or 9to5android.com or others talk about how updates are working out for everyone but they must be referring to other carriers.  I’d really like to be wrong about this and find out I’m doing something wrong.

I do thank you a lot for checking in.  I think it’s terrific that people like you do so.  Thanks!

Jim

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The thing is...  Those updates come from Google, so if Google is telling you that you need to update it.  Ask Google where your update is.  If it is the latest update that Google has put out.  Then perhaps they need to work a little harder on getting those updates out. 

Pixel devices, regardless of the carrier, have been having lots of issues for the past few months.  The issue is in Android 12's base, which has delayed Android 12 for a lot of devices still waiting to receive it.  

Badge

Hi again Syaoran,

And thanks again.  I agree completely that Google just did one of the all time worst rollouts of Android ever, particularly relating to Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro phones.  I will say on Google’s behalf that they have rolled out those same updates to Verizon and those users seem happy with the January and February software and security updates.  But in T-Mobile’s defense, Google’s reputation took enough of a hit from the horrible December rollout which caused so many serious problems for Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro owners that it can justify T-Mobile wanting to be cautious.  But the Verizon update has been stable for a month and a half at this point.  Seems like T-Mobile has been cautious enough.  Truthfully, I’m kind of sorry I purchased the Pixel 6 Pro.  I’ve had the original Pixel and the Pixel 2 XL.  Enjoyed them both.  Google’s software handling of Android 12, not so much.

So I do agree, “Why are you giving me a Security risk message when your software has been so bad, Google?”  Ha, and I bought the phone from Verizon.  You can imagine what that’s done to the finger-pointing.  Whose warranty covers the situation?

And Thanks again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Pixel 6 is now open to the Android 13 developers program so if you don't mind a few bugs here and there and want timely updates that may be the way to go.

I usually enroll in it around June when it becomes a little more stable.

Badge

Hi Gramps28,

Ha, you’re probably less ‘grampy’ than I am!  And more adventurous!  After seen Google’s disaster of a rollout for Android 12, going to a developer’s version of Android 13 definitely seems like life in the fast lane.  Think I would rather be bobbing for French fries.  Are you in the construction business, building with bricked phones?  Call me Old School but I’m sticking with the Devil I know.

Fun suggestion though!  Thanks.

Jim

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've done the program for 11 and 12. Not really much to it and if you don't like it you can always un-enroll and roll back to 12.

Btw, gramps28 is from one of my favorite hockey players and his number. Ironically I never had kids so I never was called gramps.