Is there a way to add back the "Local Upgrade" feature for OnePlus devices

• 12 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

It's come to my attention in the process of trying to update my phone from Android 11 to A12 when I was rudely informed that T-Mobile has exclusive controls over my updates. I find that a violation of my rights to own the phone. I am paying it off and more than half way through it already. I'm not sure that paying it off fully would make much of a difference, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I want to be able to willfully update my phone as I please, as the OxygenOS updater gives me explicit permission from ONEPLUS THEMSELVES to help update my phone in a more timely manor, until I receive this notification;

"It looks like you're using a carrier locked device, so no updates for you. T-Mobile will do the updating from here on out"

Basically the short version, does unlocking the carrier help with this? Any tips, suggestions, and work arounds?

Anything will help

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It's come to my attention in the process of trying to update my phone from Android 11 to A12 when I was rudely informed that T-Mobile has exclusive controls over my updates. I find that a violation of my rights to own the phone. I am paying it off and more than half way through it already. I'm not sure that paying it off fully would make much of a difference, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I want to be able to willfully update my phone as I please, as the OxygenOS updater gives me explicit permission from ONEPLUS THEMSELVES to help update my phone in a more timely manor, until I receive this notification;

"It looks like you're using a carrier locked device, so no updates for you. T-Mobile will do the updating from here on out"

Basically the short version, does unlocking the carrier help with this? Any tips, suggestions, and work arounds?

Anything will help

This has been beaten with a stick so many times.  If you want updates from the OEM’s buy it from them.  If you have problems with the device ask the manufacturer, don’t take carrier subsidies, and blame OEMs instead of carriers.  Due to the fact carriers get blamed for everything even if they had no control of the updates is the reason why there are delays.  If they are going to get blamed for things they have no control over they want to TEST updates against their security and network.  Fun fact updates still come from OnePlus after testing.

The difference between Apple and Android…  Apple takes all responsibility and they WANT you to go through them.  Android manufacturers love passing the buck to carriers.  Ironically if you go to Europe and Asia and the reason why they get updates quicker…  Is the fact they blame OEMs before they blame their carriers food for thought(I travel a lot for my line of work.)

Badge

Anything will help

This has been beaten with a stick so many times.  If you want updates from the OEM’s buy it from them.  If you have problems with the device ask the manufacturer, don’t take carrier subsidies, and blame OEMs instead of carriers.  Due to the fact carriers get blamed for everything even if they had no control of the updates is the reason why there are delays.  If they are going to get blamed for things they have no control over they want to TEST updates against their security and network.  Fun fact updates still come from OnePlus after testing.

The difference between Apple and Android…  Apple takes all responsibility and they WANT you to go through them.  Android manufacturers love passing the buck to carriers.  Ironically if you go to Europe and Asia and the reason why they get updates quicker…  Is the fact they blame OEMs before they blame their carriers food for thought(I travel a lot for my line of work.)

Well, this is my first time buying a flagship phone so it's also the first time I've been cared enough to ask. I'm sorry it's been asked so many times, I tried doing the research myself for a while but I came up with nothing. It's this your way of saying nothing can be done? Or did I miss it in all the ranting 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

They don’t have exclusive controls.  As I said this has been beaten with a dead horse since the first Android device the G1.  Ironically the earliest Android device got updates when manufacturers wanted to update.  Most of them never updated them at all.  People blamed the carriers including Europe and Asia.  Over time Manufacturers admitted here and there(not all of them) that carriers have little to do with updated. Europe/Asia started to blame OEMs over carriers.  Google who used to blame carriers on behest of US consumers.  Google did a AOSP project with Google and found out carriers around the world on Average because of being blamed for updates which affected network compatibility averaged about a month in additional testing.  What Google and Sony found out majority of the delays came from government body testing from the likes of FCC(or country equivalent) which on average took 3-6 months.  Google then realized carriers were not the delays consumers made it out to be.  They started making Android modular which helped reduce delays in updates.  They release the kernel, and various drivers so OEMs could go through testing through the earlier part of Android development(which Google is making Android 12 for example) to go through testing before Google finalizes the major updates.

So even now US consumers blame carriers and nothing has changed.  People complain why Europe and Asia gets updates quicker without looking at the glaring difference.  Where blame goes. 

As I said earlier if you want quicker updates.  Stop blaming carriers and believe OEMs with their canned responses.  IF Samsung, Google, HTC, Sony, and Motorola can push updates as fast at times or faster in the US then other OEMs can as well.  If OEM’s don’t want to spend the resources supporting their products that’s on them, and not carriers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Anything will help

not to mention pretty much every device is made over there..