LG G7 error message this morning

Badge

LG G7 phone is getting constant LG IMS keeps stopping message/

icon

Best answer by SocialCatastrophe 22 May 2022, 20:28

View original

69 replies

Badge

PHONE WORKS NOW Turned off Wi-Fi and WiFi calling. Still able to send messages and make phone calls. The IMS message stopped for now. Battery was draining real fast too and now it isn't. 

Userlevel 1

I have tried everything,  I called Tmobile and LG customer service and no help.  LG customer service referred me back to Tmobile.  I finally did a factory reset and the error message popped back up.  Also did a network reset and still no help.  At this point the phone is hard to use because i keep having to close the app.  If I call insurance for a new phone will they send me another LG G7 with the same problem.  Also LG customer service told me there has been no updates to the phone.  Tmobile told me they do not have a fix either.  This is really crazy to have companies have no idea what to do.

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

And it is completely absurd that LG/TMobile are telling people to factory reset.

Tried,  No joy,  

same - did nothing for me. 

LG G5. 

The com-lge-ims-rcsprovider force stop and clear data/ cache worked to get the pop up from coming up, but if I enable wifi it pops up again. 

My data isn't working at all.

Userlevel 2

I see that “Force Stop and Clear Cache” now has a “green check mark” and “best answer” badge.  I am sure the poster provided the information in good faith.  Unfortunately, those actions to not work for the vast majority of people, as evidenced by the hundreds of postings on dozens of forums and websites… people are trying “Force Stop and Clear Cache” and for nearly all of them, it is not working.  It did not work for our two phones, nor did any of the other false fixes posted on YouTube.  If this was a good fix, T-Mobile would tell their retail store employees about it!  If this was a good fix, somebody would post a legitimate YouTube showing an actual phone actually healing!

If is very clear that T-Mobile did something this past Sunday that effectively bricked many thousands of LG phones.  LG abandoned the phone business, so they have little incentive to help (but we can always hope).  T-Mobile might not even know what they did… the error could be buried somewhere in the code of a complicated update.  They are surely investigating.  The erroneous code might be buried within other updates which they don’t want to reverse for legitimate reasons.

Customers need to courteously but urgently request T-Mobile do one of two things:

1. Either reverse the network change they made last Sunday that bricked millions of dollars worth of phones, or
  2. Offer generous discounts to customers to purchase non-LG phones so they can get back to work (and those discounts should be retroactive so that desperate customers who replaced their phones today can participate).
Userlevel 1
Badge

I see that “Force Stop and Clear Cache” now has a “green check mark” and “best answer” badge.  I am sure the poster provided the information in good faith.  Unfortunately, those actions to not work for the vast majority of people, as evidenced by the hundreds of postings on dozens of forums and websites… people are trying “Force Stop and Clear Cache” and for nearly all of them, it is not working.  It did not work for our two phones, nor did any of the other false fixes posted on YouTube.  If this was a good fix, T-Mobile would tell their retail store employees about it!  If this was a good fix, somebody would post a legitimate YouTube showing an actual phone actually healing!

If is very clear that T-Mobile did something this past Sunday that effectively bricked many thousands of LG phones.  LG abandoned the phone business, so they have little incentive to help (but we can always hope).  T-Mobile might not even know what they did… the error could be buried somewhere in the code of a complicated update.  They are surely investigating.  The erroneous code might be buried within other updates which they don’t want to reverse for legitimate reasons.

Customers need to courteously but urgently request T-Mobile do one of two things:

1. Either reverse the network change they made last Sunday that bricked millions of dollars worth of phones, or
  2. Offer generous discounts to customers to purchase non-LG phones so they can get back to work (and those discounts should be retroactive so that desperate customers who replaced their phones today can participate).

Dude, I just posted something that worked for me, or rather, to fix my moms phone.  Mine is on a custom ROM and wasn’t even affected.  I never guaranteed it would work, I said it worked for me, for now, because I don’t know if its a permanent fix. I don’t work for TMobile or LG, and had nothing to do with any green checkmark.

Userlevel 2

These threads getting “PROBLEM SOLVED” headlines and green-check-mark headings are untrue and very unhelpful.  Somehow the thousands of us who have had our phones bricked for two days (so far) need to communicate to T-Mobile that the problem is NOT yet solved.

The “LG IMS com” system app is designed to instantly restart and reload cache in the event that it stops or is forced-stop.  When you force-stop it or clear the cache, you can easily see that it restarts and reloads immediately.  This is logical and proper behavior for an app that is required for basic phone function...it needs to run all the time.

However, T-Mobile evidently changed something yesterday (Sunday) that was not compatible with the LG IMS system app in LG phones.  For thousands of customers, NONE of the fixes posted in dozens of forums and dozens of YouTube videos work at all.

Do yourself a favor and start documenting all the labor-hours you are losing by having non-functional phones for so many days, and all the labor-hours trying out all the false fixes, the hours spent on hold listening to the customer service recording, the miles you are driving to T-Mobile retail stores, the value of all the photos and files you are losing doing “hard resets”, and the cost of replacing phones!  This problem is extremely widespread and the economic damage is already in the multi-millions, and growing every day.

We need to respectfully inform T-Mobile that the big green “PROBLEM SOLVED” headlines are not true, and they need to accomplish one of two things (it’s only fair and it’s good business):

1.  Either restore the network back to how it was last Saturday before all these problems began for tens of thousands of people, or --
  2. Offer generous discounts for the injured customers with bricked phones to purchase non-LG phones so they can get back to work… and the discounts need to be retroactive to today, because many desperate customers are rushing to T-Mobile stores and buying new phones today.

Userlevel 2

THANK YOU sincerely to the users who are sharing the fixes that worked for them.  It is not your fault that the fixes might not work for other people, and you deserve appreciation for your effort.  This problem was not caused by any individual user, and I am sure that T-Mobile did not want to cause the problem either.  We just need to get T-Mobile aware of the dimensions of the situation so that their response is appropriate.  Widespread posts on many different forums, here and elsewhere, indicate that generally people are not recovering from this problem.  But THANK YOU to all!

~>called state attorney general’s office…...I think it would expedite process.

It

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

And it is completely absurd that LG/TMobile are telling people to factory reset.

This worked for now for me on my G6.  I went to the Tmobile store and another guy had the same problem and the kids in the store were no help so thanks for this fix.     I can tell by all the post on here  something went on  overnight to mess up LG phones today.      

That worked for me mostly but you have to do it 5 times in a row to make sure it stays stopped and I was able to turn off my phone and restart with no problem.

Just going into settings as described above did not work for my LG V30+ but the following did:

turn wifi calling off
turn wifi off
turn airplane mode on

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> 
Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data, clear cache

turn airplane mode off
turn on wifi data
turn on wifi calling 

Has been over 3 hours with no issues and phone and im work

Userlevel 3

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup

AFTER 2 DAYS TRYING TO FIX, i SUCCEEDED WITH THE ‘PARTIAL FIX’ DOING THE FOLLOWING:

NOTES:

• i have two LG V20 Phones and Fix worked for both when following these steps precisely.
  • This fix is lost if you turn the WIFI back on or if phone is set to auto turn on when rebooting/turning on phone.
  • Fix was not lost once resolved by rebooting phone.
  • Fix does not seem to hinder phone operations other than WIFI must remain OFF. You can send & receive calls/texts with no popups.
  • If you need WIFI  for watching video, doing backups, etc., turn back on, but realize nuisance popup will resume and you will need to redo these below steps until T-mobile fixes the problem they caused.
  • Call your State Attorney General and insist on an investigation.

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

T-mobile still has not addressed this massive problem publicly as of Mon May 23 10:15pm ET.. Shameful and possibly criminal.

From your home screen, please go into Settings.

Under the Networks tab, and select Mobile Networks.

In this menu go to Access Point Names. Hit 3 dots. Hit Restore Default Settings.

You may see the option for Disable 2G and 3g.

This setting will disable 2G and 3g service on the device.

LTE enables and IMS may correct. 💯 

Leave feedback if I helped you. :)

Happy to help. 😊

..... Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > 3 dots > Restore Default Settings.

This is actually hard to fathom from a customer relations standpoint and also, possibly from a legal perspective. So many people depend on their phones for work, health and safety, and T-Mobile hasn’t fixed the problem and hasn’t provided better information to its customers. In my opinion this is a serious lapse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

This is actually hard to fathom from a customer relations standpoint and also, possibly from a legal perspective. So many people depend on their phones for work, health and safety, and T-Mobile hasn’t fixed the problem and hasn’t provided better information to its customers. In my opinion this is a serious lapse.

the site here is primarily peer to peer with a handful of moderators to keep things in order only..they do not speak up usually on things and they do not have account access. as is they were working with LG to get it all figured out..i know on the Sprint site if a larger scale issue popped up they were pretty quick to get the info out there on what was going on and what was happening. might not have been the most helpful but at least you knew it was in fact known they knew of what was going on and were working on it.

here...not so much..you kinda get what you get and or do your own digging to get the info.

i know a lot of steps to try have been posted in here but here are the official steps from TMO in case theyre any different...no ...odds are they wouldnt post it in here because well...read the top of my post lol

LG IMS Keeps Stopping Error:

Instructions to Resolve

1. Restart Device
  1. After device restarts, go to settings>apps>app info note: some LG devices use a tabbed view for settings instead of a list view. if the tab view is used, to to the general tab>apps and notifications.
  2. in the top right corner, select the 3 dots. select show system
  3. in the app list go to the app com.lge.ims.rcsprovider if the device has a search option, you can search for “RCS” to find it quickly
  4. click the app name to select it
  5. click storage
  6. click clear cache
  7. click clear data
  8. click back button (top left) to go back to the app info screen
  9. click force stop
  10. these steps should prevent the pop-up from returning. if you see the error message again, go back into the com.lge.ims.rcsprovider app again and click clear cache and clear data.

last word was the fix was going to be kicked out in 24 hours in batches but unsure if that has changed or not.

Userlevel 3

CLEARING THE CACHE WORKS FOR NOBODY, CLEARING THE DATA DOES. Be precise. They are not the same.

Just so everyone knows. I have two devices with T-Mobile one is the LG G& Thinq, with the IMS error, and the other is a Samsung tablet, which doed not have the issue. Both have cellular and wifi data. To my knowlege only LG’s are having this issue. 

I have have a technical background and have been in the IT industry fro 25 years. All the fixes I have read about, and tried, are just hack fixes and would not really fix anything if they actually tempararally worked. Once your restart your phone everything your did would be back to normal and problem would come back. I would keep looking for app or system updates being pushed out.

I did reboot.  Here we are 4 days later… Still an issue.  And… 4 years ago TMobil sold me the dang defunk phone…. Grrrr, very frustrated.  Taking phone to the TMobil store tomorrow to see what the latest “excuse” is… 

the site here is primarily peer to peer with a handful of moderators to keep things in order only..they do not speak up usually on things and they do not have account access. as is they were working with LG to get it all figured out..i know on the Sprint site if a larger scale issue popped up they were pretty quick to get the info out there on what was going on and what was happening. might not have been the most helpful but at least you knew it was in fact known they knew of what was going on and were working on it.

here...not so much..you kinda get what you get and or do your own digging to get the info.

i know a lot of steps to try have been posted in here but here are the official steps from TMO in case theyre any different...no ...odds are they wouldnt post it in here because well...read the top of my post lol

LG IMS Keeps Stopping Error:

Instructions to Resolve

1. Restart Device
  1. After device restarts, go to settings>apps>app info note: some LG devices use a tabbed view for settings instead of a list view. if the tab view is used, to to the general tab>apps and notifications.
  2. in the top right corner, select the 3 dots. select show system
  3. in the app list go to the app com.lge.ims.rcsprovider if the device has a search option, you can search for “RCS” to find it quickly
  4. click the app name to select it
  5. click storage
  6. click clear cache
  7. click clear data
  8. click back button (top left) to go back to the app info screen
  9. click force stop
  10. these steps should prevent the pop-up from returning. if you see the error message again, go back into the com.lge.ims.rcsprovider app again and click clear cache and clear data.

last word was the fix was going to be kicked out in 24 hours in batches but unsure if that has changed or not.

First, I do not have DATA on my phone. Just call and text… so, none of those tips are helpful. But thanks. Today marks the 4th day I have not had use of my phone…. Since TMobile sold me this worthless phone, I am thinking  replacing it, giving us credit or compensating in some way…. IF this was fixed and taken care of in a timely manner, perhaps we’d all be happy ducks by now. 4 Days of non service is unacceptable… !!!!