Solved

LG G8 thinq Update to Android 12 - ugh

• 20 August 2023
  • 15 replies

Badge

Since doing the update to Android 12, my LG G8 thinQ camera no longer works, the audio in my Ring app no longer works, and my phone is slow.

Is there any solution that does not involve a factory reset which is what is always recommended as opposed to figuring out where the glitch is, so it doesn't keep happening ?

Thanks in advance.  

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 24 August 2023, 01:08

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

LG hasn't made a smartphone in years and Android 12 was a massive mess regardless of what device you had from any manufacturer.  Because the device is end of life, there will not be an update to Android 13.  Back up everything on your device and roll it back to Android 11, which will completely wipe your device.  Then turn off automatic system updates to make sure it doesn't update to Android 12.  You can find all of the help you need over on the XDA Developers website in the forum for your device.

Badge

Syaoran:  Thanks for this.  All helpful information.

How would I be able to downgrade to Android 11 though and will I be able to restore from a backup I do to my SD card?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can find tutorials over on XDA Developers to help you with all of that and any questions you have in the process.  If you do backup everything to the micros card.  Remove it when flashing just to be on the safe side so it doesn't get wiped in the process.  

Badge

There doesn’t seem to be any information on this subject on XDA Developers.  I posted though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There is this thread but all of the useful links are dead.  

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/flash-lg-g8-stock-firmware-with-lgup.3965908/

The forum in general seems pretty much dead as well.  That's one of the things about old devices.  When they are new, there's a lot of activity and everything you need is easy to get.  After most move on though, the links break, because LG didn't maintain their mobile files site after they shutdown their mobile phone business.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there @Jgcalifornia Software updates are supposed to be seamless or exciting, definitely not a nuisance. They are some things you can do before jumping to a master reset, but the master reset is usually recommended because it takes the least amount of time to smooth out the issues you are seeing. When apps and device performance lag or have errors after an update, it usually means that there are a few small things that are not talking to each other properly and finding the specific issue can be difficult and sometimes impossible. Master resets give you a chance to start things back at a blank slate and build the phone back up with your apps in a more controlled and successful way. We do have device troubleshooting steps on our Support site. These are the steps that I would recommend for the specific app issues and device lagging that you are experiencing. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

to be honest i would try the FR first as odd as it sounds. LG did a pretty decent job with 12 on my LG V60 and G8. i run my V60 but did the update on my G8 mainly because it was there and out of curiosity if it would be semi bug free or layered with problems..had zero problems that i could see. i keep it around for random dumb stuff.

side note though..i did a FR prior to doing the update so it started off fresh..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A factory reset after a major OS upgrade is always recommended.  I get that people don’t like doing so because it can take hours to setup your device from scratch after the time it takes to back it up fully.  Android 14 is going to be one of these updates where a factory reset is going to solve a lot of issues for those on Pixels and Samsung devices.  

Badge

Heaven:  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.  I have lost several hours of my life I will never get back doing troubleshooting with T-mobile and LG.  We tried everything.  I am not against trying something new, but from what I am learning about the update to Android 12, it seems to make sense things are not working.

I am just nervous about doing a factory rest, even though I backed up to my SD card.

I like Syaoran’s initial suggestion in doing a reset but going back to Android 11.  So far, I haven’t found any instructions on how to successfully do this.

Thanks for all of your input.

Badge

@HeavenM:

“We do have device troubleshooting steps on our Support site. These are the steps that I would recommend for the specific app issues and device lagging that you are experiencing.”

My issues are exclusive to the camera app not opening and the mic not working in apps such as HD recorder.  I tried using an app that says it forces the camera to open which did not work.  The below screenshot is what I get when trying to open my camera.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've had issues with my LG V30 where the camera app didn't open so I downloaded a camera app from the play store until I could figure it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@HeavenM:

“We do have device troubleshooting steps on our Support site. These are the steps that I would recommend for the specific app issues and device lagging that you are experiencing.”

My issues are exclusive to the camera app not opening and the mic not working in apps such as HD recorder.  I tried using an app that says it forces the camera to open which did not work.  The below screenshot is what I get when trying to open my camera.

It really sounds like you are trying to attack this issue from every angle. Does the camera open when you are trying it from other apps? For example you open your messages and select to reply to someone with a picture, there should be an option to open the camera to take a new picture. If you have already cleared data from the camera app in the device settings and did the wipe cache partition, then you could try gramps28’s suggestion and try a camera app from the play store. 

Master resets can be pretty daunting because you don’t want to lose all of your data. If you put that all on the SD card and take it out before the master reset, then you should be confident that it will all be there when you put the SD card back. 

Badge

@HeavenM:

I have cleared data and wiped cache.  I downloaded Camera for Android from the Playstore.  The app opens, but only shows black.  I downloaded another app called HD Camera fort Android.  It opens, shows black and then I get a message that says “camera failed”.  Th final camera app I tried gave a message saying: “Failed to open camera.  Camera may be in use by another application”.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to put Android 11 back on my phone after resetting?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@HeavenM:

I have cleared data and wiped cache.  I downloaded Camera for Android from the Playstore.  The app opens, but only shows black.  I downloaded another app called HD Camera fort Android.  It opens, shows black and then I get a message that says “camera failed”.  Th final camera app I tried gave a message saying: “Failed to open camera.  Camera may be in use by another application”.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to put Android 11 back on my phone after resetting?

Thanks!

Wow! That is a lot of different apps and that camera is stubbornly objecting. I honestly do think that the factory reset is going to be the next step since you have literally tried everything else. T-Mobile doesn’t have any suggested steps or recommended routes for rolling back a software update. Once the update is done, it is designed to be the new foundation for the phone. Syaoran provided one resource that you can try to check out, and there may be more out there. You might also reach out to LG customer support or forums to see if there are any steps available from them. 

Badge

Alrighty.  Sounds a bit hopeless though.