Question

Lost capability to text: Contacts show sip:[phone number]@msg.pc.tmobile.com;user=phone

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I used to text this mobile phone for several months.  I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21.  However, today, the text fails to be sent.  Then, I look at my contacts for the mobile phone number and it is changed to:

sip:[phone number]@msg.pc.tmobile.com;user=phone

I removed this and updated the contacts with the correct phone number, but the text does not go through and the contacts is changed back to sip:[phone number]@msg.pc.tmobile.com;user=phone

Any idea what is going on?  I am able to text other people.

Thanks,

Paul

65 replies

Userlevel 1

this isn’t weird. this is pathetic that such a major bug has made into circulation. Tmobile FIX THIS GARBAGE NOW!!!!!!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! 

Userlevel 2

I am having exact same issue with just one contact. 

I'm having the exact same problem with a couple of my contacts. Happened after the latest update. T-Mobile please fix your mistake!

I am having the some problem, is there a fix for this problem?

My wife was having this problem on a new S23+ just 1 number like everyone else, I switched her from the Samsung messaging app to the Google and problem solved

Same! Been having this same issue with the same contact for about a year now. This person uses metro by tmobile as well.

Any answers???

Userlevel 2

They did nothing. They were at a loss. It is not fixed. 

I also have the texting issue pertaining to "sip:+".  I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with Tmobile last week with no resolution. They told me they would call me back the next day.   ...still waiting for that callback.   I did, however find a clunky way to text a contact with the issue.   I just text them at:  +1THEIRNUMBER@tmomail.net. It's not a great solution, but at least I can communicate with them.  Considering how much I pay a month, being able to communicate is sort of expected.

Had the same issue with sip and only affecting 1 contact.  We did the system  update to Android 13 and the sip went away.  Thought all was good when she texted me I was able to text back but then then a few minutes later I cant get texts to go through to her again.. ERG!!

I have also been experiencing this for about the past week, one contact only, my husband. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....and when he replies to my messages they usually come through as this weird sip crap. What give TMobile? I pay too much for all my lines for this. Sprint never did this to me!

Same. It’s my mom. Anyone have an answer yet?

Bump. Also having this issue with exactly ONE contact. This person uses Metro PCS. Just started within the last week or two.

Same exact issue!  Happened about a week ago.  My husband and I can’t text our daughter.  She can text us but comes through with the SIP # and won’t let me update her contact.  I’ve deleted her contact and try to put her back in, but nothing!  Neither of us can text her. It’s the only contact we have an issue with.  Seems to be families on the same plan have an issue with one contact on the plan who has a different phone.  This is supper frustrating and needs to be fixed TMobile!  We had sprint and never had an issue like this!

We were just in t .obile store. I can send message to that number now using my existing contact. But, receive replies on the "sip" contact. The language in the "sip" contact makes it seemlike messages going through a PC. 

What did they do to fix it?

Following. I lost the ability to text my son although he can text me and I have no problem texting anyone else. I get the same "phone number" in my contacts. T-mobile showed my how to test network connections and it worked for 3 messages then failed again. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas. 

Userlevel 2

Yep, yesterday two messages worked for me. Then failed, again.

Userlevel 2

We were just in t .obile store. I can send message to that number now using my existing contact. But, receive replies on the "sip" contact. The language in the "sip" contact makes it seemlike messages going through a PC. 

I am having the same problem and it only seems to be with one number.

Did a fix for this come up? I am having issues texting one contact. Same as other comments.

No fix for me using the stock texting app. I ended up installing Textra and I don't have the same texting problems.  Not an ideal solution, but it's a work around until tmobile gets their act together.

I'm having the same issue. Why isnt this resolved yet?

Same.  I can't text my Dad, a fellow Android user.  

😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don’t know what’s going on but I can tell you that the SIP address looks like a long-ago backdoor to allow people to call T-Mobile phones from PCs and other Internet devices. It was closed down due to security concerns. I only found out about it a couple of weeks ago.

I found a quick fix for this strange problem.

apps: Messages-

Defaults: Clear Defaults

Working now as normal and phone number is normal and not Sip….

Userlevel 2

I saw PC in there and thought same....but messages that do go through are her phone to mine. It's very weird.