Question

MMS issues after switching -Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

• 18 February 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

Please help! I've gone through the DIY MMS settings changes, restarted phone, etc. I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. My sister can receive MMS from me, but my best friend can't. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone does your friend have? If it's an iPhone then that may the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Did you setup the device with your SIM in it.or with no SIM in it?  Setting up the device without a SIM during the setup prevents the device from downloading all of the correct APN and IMS information.  

Badge

Set up WITH T-Mobile SIM, and her phone is an Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Can you double check the APN and SMS/MMS settings listed here?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#subhead2

Badge

Badge

Everything is grayed out so I am unable to edit anything. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Which messages app are you using?  From my understanding Google has been handing off to carriers for RCS and interloping between carriers isn’t completed.  You may need to turn on backup to SMS for it to work.

If you use Samsungs version then I believe there is no setting and should do it by default.

@slr133 Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem with my unlocked Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. I have spoken to 2nd tier tech support and I know more about APN’s than they do. I know there is an alternative APN (I had it and it fixed the issue) but then it was wiped out (long story) and everyone I talk to at T-mobile acts like I am delusional when I tell them that there is an alternative APN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's epc.tmobile.com but it's for non LTE phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If.you are using Samsung Messages.  Make sure you are updating it from the Galaxy Store.  There are version differences from the Play Store version.  Samsung Messages has also been plagued with a lot of annoying issues lately.  Especially if you have RCS enabled.