Question

My LAST Resort- Samsung Flip 5 and Google Assistant

• 14 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I think I’m getting closer to the answer here, and I think it boils down to Samsung wanting to become their own “entity”.

I have used Google Assistant for years on all of my Samsung phones.  I upgraded to the Flip5 with NO problems whatsoever and everything is working perfectly.  EXCEPT that when I use Google Assistant while driving and I say “Hey Google, call …...” it will recognise that name in my contacts, but then it will tell me to open my phone!! I’ve tried practically everything and I’ve been doing most of the day.  I spoke with TMobile twice, they cannot find out why the phone won’t allow me to access phone calls while driving and the phone folded.  I’ve gone through all of my settings (permissions, smartlock, etc.) to allow the phone to unlock features that may allow to use this feature while the device is folded.  SO annoying.  I spoke with Samsung and they said it’s a “defect???” How can that be when it’s a brand new phone???? I’ve also tried to find a support line phone number or email to the Google Assistant team.

I’m now beginning to think that there is no other way around it.  I know that with the research I’ve done online, that in order to unlock this feature, we have to use Bixby, and I don’t want to.  Please help if you can, or I just have to live with this, or have to wait for Google to come up with a software update, which I think they won’t because Samsung just wants Samsung users to use their Bixby system which is nowhere near as good as the latter.  Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions 😊

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you able to locate the Google assistant app itself? if yes go into the play store and click on the app itself..once in there scroll to the bottom and you should see a email to contact the devs.

Badge

Thankyou, will do

Badge

It’s no surprise that when I emailed a message to that Google address it’s out of date.  It has just referred me to a website which I’ve already visited, and there is no contact info there. Looks like I will have to leave a comment on the Play Store and hope they get back to me there. I’m ready to give up 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

only other thing i can think of is see if it needs an update or if you can delete it and then re add it again from the play store?

its monday and i dont feel like re reading what is above lol..forgot if you mentioned if you run anything like battery saver mode or anything like that? and if you do did you go in and allow it to run in the background so BSM doesnt shut it down? not saying thats the cause..but also not ruling it out.

Badge

Just before you replied, I have in fact uninstalled Google Assistant and weirdly enough, it’s still running so I’ll have to figure out how to uninstall the app totally then reinstall.  Thanks for your help.  Will see how it goes

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I spoke with Samsung and they said it’s a “defect???” How can that be when it’s a brand new phone???? 

Hey there! You are doing a lot of digging and research to find the answer to your question and I deeply respect that. I think that Samsung was right when they said that it is a defect which means that future updates would need to be designed and implemented to fix that specific issue. The hope with brand new devices is that they come out of the box flawless, but there can be small but impactful things that can sneak through like the issue you are seeing here. Google does not offer a customer support number or any live customer support like we traditionally think of it. Since you already reported the issue to Samsung, I would suggest starting a thread like this one on Google’s forums (or finding one like this to comment on) to get Google’s attention. The goal is to have them recognize the bug, so that they can build a fix in to a software update for that phone.