Solved

New phone is locked

• 15 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

I just got a new phone(S21).  I took it to a T-Mobile store with my old phone to have the data transferred over.  Everything was fine, until a little while ago, when I was going to start updating my passwords.  That’s when I found out my phone was locked, and my account says that it’s not eligible to be unlocked. What can I do?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 15 September 2023, 03:31

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your phone will be locked until you meet the usage requirements once the phone is paid off.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

The phone is paid in full.  I’ll be going to a T-Mobile store tomorrow on my way to work to take care of this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It still needs to show 40 days of usage on Tmobile towers before it can be unlocked.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

From the link posted above, you need to wait 40 days before it can be unlocked...

Unlock eligibility for mobile devices on Postpaid plans

• The device must have been active on the T‑Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
Badge

It doesn’t work that way, and the store that I went to took care of the problem.  You shouldn’t answer someone’s question if you don’t know the correct answer.

Badge

And I bought the phone outright, I’m not on a payment plan, and it’s not a prepaid phone, I have unlimited everything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you have 40 days of usage on Tmobile towers? All Tmobile phones are sold locked even if paid in full.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

And I bought the phone outright, I’m not on a payment plan, and it’s not a prepaid phone, I have unlimited everything.

Whether you purchased the phone out right in full or not, the SIM Unlock Policy requirements still apply.  The person in the store probably just did a temporary SIM unlock.  If you wanted a SIM unlocked Samsung out of the box, you should have purchased the U1 non-carrier specific model.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It doesn’t work that way, and the store that I went to took care of the problem.  You shouldn’t answer someone’s question if you don’t know the correct answer.

they literally provided a link from TMO that again literally says all of this lolol

they literally provided a link from TMO that again literally says all of this lolol

Just another person who sits on their high horse thinking they're better than everyone.