Question

OnePlus 7 Pro, Android 11, and speaker

Userlevel 2
Badge

After the OTA update to Android 11 for my OnePlus 7 Pro when I get a phone call, it is always on speaker, even though the speaker is not turned on. Turning speaker on and back off has no effect. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Looked through all of the settings and can't find anything that might be turned on or off to fix this. 

39 replies

I fixed the lock screen time issue by changing the time to 24 hours and then back to 12 hours.

I’ve gotten the impression that OnePlus feels that all the bugs have been resolved in the build they re-released on Friday 4/16: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-11-0-0-2-for-the-oneplus-7t-pro-and-oneplus-7t.1420069/

It sounds like this does fix a lot of bugs but doesn’t completely eliminate this issue - just drastically reduces its occurrence, which would be an improvement. There’s no telling how long it may take before this re-released version goes back through T-Mobile’s process and we receive it. Someone at T-Mobile certainly knew enough about what was going on to take down that Software Updates page for this phone, but I’m not sure what level could possible provide us an acknowledgement or ETA.

Umm… so this might just be my imagination, but I went to:

Settings → System → Accessibility and turned on “Hearing Aid Compatibility”.

And that seemed to stop the sound from coming out of the bottom speaker on incoming calls. It only comes out of the earpiece now. Can anyone else confirm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

And that seemed to stop the sound from coming out of the bottom speaker on incoming calls. It only comes out of the earpiece now. Can anyone else confirm?

I have always had that off.  On the build I am on, it still happens about 1 in ever 6 calls. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@jmc1974 I also contacted TMO and OnePlus and they both acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. I was waiting for the usual "I know nothing about phones so try factory resetting it" suggestion but surprisingly neither of them suggested it.

@ColoradoScripter the hearing aid compatibility thing seems to have fixed it for me! Good find! We'll see if it's consistent. 

What's funny is that after I sent an email to Oneplus, the response I got from them also said the issue is not known, until I mentioned that in fact it is, then no more reply…

"

Nora Flores 04/22/2021 06:03 AM

Hi Juan,

Thank you for contacting OnePlus Customer Support..

It's really unfortunate to know that you are facing the issues with your OnePlus device. Please be rest assured, I will certainly assist you in resolving the issue.

About your query, I would like to inform you that this is not a know issue. However, we will arrange a remote session to flash the device. Please share the details mentioned below so that we can arrange a remote session.

Kindly revert to us with the below details:

1. Order number or IMEI number :

2. Proof of purchase :

3. Current location :

4. Email address :

5. Preferred language :

6. Contact number and Alternative contact number :

7. Current OS version: 

8. Have you tried to root your device?

9. Please connect the device to a PC and confirm whether the device is detectable.

Note: You should have a windows 7+ PC and original Type-C cable with you to perform flashing.

Awaiting your response to resolve this issue on a positive note.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nora Flores

OnePlus Customer Support."

I then reply:

Hello Nora,

This is a KNOWN issue… 

See https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/oneplus-7-pro-android-11-and-speaker-35586?postid=130694#post130694

Also: https://piunikaweb.com/2021/04/19/oneplus-android-11-oxygenos-11-update-known-bugs-issues/

And: https://piunikaweb.com/2021/02/19/oneplus-7-pro-users-on-oxygenos-11-android-11-open-beta-facing-call-audio-issues/

Call audio emitted through bottom speaker

Open Beta 2

OnePlus 7 Pro

Waiting acknowledgement

THIS IS THE ISSUE I AM EXPERIENCING, PLUS BATTERY DRAINS FAST AND SCREEN LOCK IS STUCK IN 24HR FORMAT

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OnePlus Customer Support is outsourced.  They have very little communication with the community or actual development teams. 

Yes, This also fixed my 7 Pro as well! It took care of the issue on incoming and outgoing calls. Thank you very much!

I ve got the same issue, call goes to Speaker, this renders phone pretty useless considering loss of privacy

Amazing that such a simple use case was not tested by OnePlus

Also my Bluetooth car connection goes off/on again every minute or so, did not have this issue before OS11 upgrade

OnePlus Customer Support is outsourced.  They have very little communication with the community or actual development teams. 

T H A N K   YOU !!!  Very good recommendation  That did it for me as well !!! 

I ve got the same issue, call goes to Speaker, this renders phone pretty useless considering loss of privacy

Amazing that such a simple use case was not tested by OnePlus

Also my Bluetooth car connection goes off/on again every minute or so, did not have this issue before OS11 upgrade

The suggestion of  Jersilb fixed it on both of my phones … 

Used the Settings, System, Accessibility, Hearing Aid Compatibility: On, workaround and it fixed the speaker bug.

posting for visibility, bug def needs to be fixed

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got an OTA update to 11.0.1.2 for my OP 7 Pro that seems to fix this issue. 

I just got an OTA update to 11.0.1.2 for my OP 7 Pro that seems to fix this issue. 

Nice I just got it as well. 

It can't be, I had literally had this problem for half a year on my OnePlus 6 with Android 12, I was thinking of going back to Android 11, even in safe mode I had this problem, since the phone app is a system app... With this change is solved and it works again.... Thank you very much!!!