Question

OnePlus 7 Pro, Android 11, and speaker

Userlevel 2
Badge

After the OTA update to Android 11 for my OnePlus 7 Pro when I get a phone call, it is always on speaker, even though the speaker is not turned on. Turning speaker on and back off has no effect. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Looked through all of the settings and can't find anything that might be turned on or off to fix this. 

39 replies

Umm… so this might just be my imagination, but I went to:

Settings → System → Accessibility and turned on “Hearing Aid Compatibility”.

And that seemed to stop the sound from coming out of the bottom speaker on incoming calls. It only comes out of the earpiece now. Can anyone else confirm?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got an OTA update to 11.0.1.2 for my OP 7 Pro that seems to fix this issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@jmc1974 I also contacted TMO and OnePlus and they both acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. I was waiting for the usual "I know nothing about phones so try factory resetting it" suggestion but surprisingly neither of them suggested it.

@ColoradoScripter the hearing aid compatibility thing seems to have fixed it for me! Good find! We'll see if it's consistent. 

And that seemed to stop the sound from coming out of the bottom speaker on incoming calls. It only comes out of the earpiece now. Can anyone else confirm?

Yes, This also fixed my 7 Pro as well! It took care of the issue on incoming and outgoing calls. Thank you very much!

I ve got the same issue, call goes to Speaker, this renders phone pretty useless considering loss of privacy

Amazing that such a simple use case was not tested by OnePlus

Also my Bluetooth car connection goes off/on again every minute or so, did not have this issue before OS11 upgrade

The suggestion of  Jersilb fixed it on both of my phones … 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

he mentioned that in the last sentence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OnePlus Customer Support is outsourced.  They have very little communication with the community or actual development teams. 

It can't be, I had literally had this problem for half a year on my OnePlus 6 with Android 12, I was thinking of going back to Android 11, even in safe mode I had this problem, since the phone app is a system app... With this change is solved and it works again.... Thank you very much!!!

Used the Settings, System, Accessibility, Hearing Aid Compatibility: On, workaround and it fixed the speaker bug.

posting for visibility, bug def needs to be fixed

Userlevel 2
Badge

I haven't tried a reset for that very reason. We shouldn't have to. This is a very basic function. I mean...it is a phone and it's very basic function 🙄

OnePlus Customer Support is outsourced.  They have very little communication with the community or actual development teams. 

T H A N K   YOU !!!  Very good recommendation  That did it for me as well !!! 

It looks like T-Mobile took down the software updates page for this phone. Hopefully that’s an indication they’re aware of these issues at this point.

Interestingly, I haven’t read about anyone anywhere this issue has been described (reddit, OnePlus forums, XDA) who has tried a factory reset. I look at being more reliant on my bluetooth headset until such time as the next patch is released as being superior to going down that path.

It’s still an unacceptable situation on all fronts, of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I haven’t tried a factory reset either.  I really don’t like doing those unless it is necessary.  Backing up my device takes what seems like forever.  :P  I have had calls come in after the one that was on speaker, that were fine.  It is very hit and miss now when it actually happens, which is an improvement, just not a solution.  

I’ve been having the same issue today since upgrading last night to Android 11. I have a OnePlus 7 pro and  I think I have figured out at least what is happening. I think I fixed my phone in the meantime while there is an update fixing this issue. If you go to settings, then System, Developer options then Running Services, and finally Bluetooth. If you have Bluetooth off and you see that the HearingAidService is on, then stop it and go back to system. This service, I believe should only come on when bluetooth is turned on and not when it is turned off. I could call people and hear them fine with the speaker off, but when I put them on speaker, it would not go back to the regular speaker. I also enabled the gabeldorsche feature, but I don’t think this fixed it. I noticed that “Media resumption” is not under Media in Developer Options. This was supposed to be a a fix from the following article:  How to Quickly Switch Audio Output in Android 11 – Gadgets To Use. I hope this works for some of you like it did for me. I did not do a factory reset. Thank you!

Syaoran, how do I put on the image that you have?  this is very annoying!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am a FUT member so my devices are first to get updates and betas.  11.0.2 for Global NA devices should be available through Oxygen Updater.  If you get it from there, I suggest downloading the full image and using local update to apply it.  This method and firmware can't be applied on the T-Mobile firmware. 

I am a FUT member so my devices are first to get updates and betas.  11.0.2 for Global NA devices should be available through Oxygen Updater.  If you get it from there, I suggest downloading the full image and using local update to apply it.  This method and firmware can't be applied on the T-Mobile firmware. 

This applies only to rooted phones or global versions. T-Mobile branded phones are NOT eligible for this.
Oxigen updater does NOT work on T-Mobile phones...

On one of the many threads about this issue on the OnePlus forums, someone reports to have tried a factory reset and found it does not resolve the issue. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-7-pro-updated-to-android-11-desaster-struck-call-sound-comes-out-of-bottom-speaker.1421724/

It is possible to load the global firmware on the T-Mobile variant (GM1915). This requires, among other things, a wipe of the phone and isn’t something I’d necessarily call “easy” - though it is fairly well documented out there - with instructions on XDA and anecdotal reports on the OnePlus forums.

I’m still hopeful that the fact that the software update page is still down at the moment means they’re actively working on deploying the re-released update from OnePlus. Though it sounds like since OnePlus didn’t completely eliminate the issue on their side, it would at least significantly reduce its occurrence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Cross-flashing isn't that hard but it isn't easy either.  The MSM Tool makes it pretty easy to recover the device if something goes wrong.  It is highly recommended to have the SIM lock removed before flashing though.  As mentioned, the issue is not fully resolved on the global NA firmware yet.  It will hopefully be soon but there are no guarantees. 

I have also a OnePlus 7Pro and just got the dreaded OTA update 2 days ago with the same results, any call made or received goes thru the speaker, today I called TMO Tech support and they acted like they never hear about this issue…  they had no solutions, then I called OnePlus Support (1-833-777-3633) and also they acted like this was new news. I am starting to regret switching from Samsung, I mean the 7Pro has been an excellent phone, but c’mon. this issue was noticed since Open Beta 2 ( https://piunikaweb.com/2021/04/19/oneplus-android-11-oxygenos-11-update-known-bugs-issues/

Call audio emitted through bottom speaker Open Beta 2 OnePlus 7 Pro Waiting acknowledgement

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/02/19/oneplus-7-pro-users-on-oxygenos-11-android-11-open-beta-facing-call-audio-issues/

I wonder if T-Mobile is going to take back this phones is there is not fix soon? I mean no private conversations, can’t use this phone…  Tmobile supposed to be testing the updates for this type of issues, is not like they allow all updates from any* phone maker (except Apple) if this phone was unlocked or they allowed direct updates I could blame the makers (Oneplus), but they sit on the updates for months supposed because the test. so much for testing. :thumbsdown_tone3: TMobile

Update 70 (April 3)

IST 10:45 am: An official acknowledgment has come from OnePlus on the OnePlus 7 series stable Android 11 rollout halt. An updated build with all bugs fixed will release in the future.

Update 71 (April 5)

IST 10:49 am: Users of the OnePlus Nord and OnePlus 7 series running OxygenOS 11 are reporting an issue where the lock screen clock is stuck in 24 hrs clock system even when the system is set to 12 hrs system. For a workaround and more on this, check out our coverage here.

my phone also shows the lock screen on 24hr format even as the system setting is for 12hr..

Same issue and a royal pain!!!  Absolutely ridiculous!!!  Turned off android auto that was turned on with this update...no effect...no bluetooth on... Just a pain!!!

I fixed the lock screen time issue by changing the time to 24 hours and then back to 12 hours.

I’ve gotten the impression that OnePlus feels that all the bugs have been resolved in the build they re-released on Friday 4/16: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-11-0-0-2-for-the-oneplus-7t-pro-and-oneplus-7t.1420069/

It sounds like this does fix a lot of bugs but doesn’t completely eliminate this issue - just drastically reduces its occurrence, which would be an improvement. There’s no telling how long it may take before this re-released version goes back through T-Mobile’s process and we receive it. Someone at T-Mobile certainly knew enough about what was going on to take down that Software Updates page for this phone, but I’m not sure what level could possible provide us an acknowledgement or ETA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have always had that off.  On the build I am on, it still happens about 1 in ever 6 calls.