Question

(OP8)(A12) How do I disable all carrier software updates?

• 12 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Clearly T-Mobile cannot be trusted to vet and push out reliable updates to my device.  I contacted OnePlus already and they said that T-Mobile has final say and engineers updates for T-Mobile branded devices which I believe mine is... OnePlus 8 5G IN2017

At this very moment I cannot pull down the notification shade to disable Bluetooth even and it keeps jumping all over the place. Fooview also crashes often and I use it daily. 

I am planning to revert to Android 11 which was very stable.

Do I have to gain SU root access to prevent T-Mobile and/or OP from f** up my device again?

Thanks for any that can help me.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

12 itself was a nightmare across the board..but for sure a problem for OP. the only saving grace they had was kicking over to 13 or bumping back to 11.

hard to point fingers at TMO when you take a look at OPs forums and see the same issues  across every device that got 12 U.S variant or not.

as for reverting back. i recommend asking in here. i know there were a few devices that were mentioned over in the OP forums that would have a hard time reverting back or something along those lines. might have been if they were part of the Beta testing..cant remember now..but here it is

https://community.oneplus.com/circle/222

^^ U.S based devices forum.

https://community.oneplus.com/circle/1034260458221338626

^^ OP8 forum covering ALL areas.

Badge

Wow thank you for replying and the advice.  Android 13 is an option but I suspect that I won't be able to downgrade afterwards.  Also I think I will have less control with my device.  Android has become more close sourced with each successive version it's disappointing.

Also I'm suspect it will prevent me from re-enabling native call recording using jOnePlus Tools which is essential for me.  It's protected me and helped me win a lawsuit already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In Developer Options, you can turn off automatic system updates.  It will still prompt you that an update is available but it won’t be able to install it unless you tell it to.  You can also force close the System Updater under System Apps to have it stop checking.  It will restart though every time the device reboots.