Question

Outlook for Android stops sending/receiving emails

• 30 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have a Samsung Z Flip 3, running Android 12.  I use Outlook for email, connecting to Office 365.  Frequently, the app stops sending or receiving emails.  I “fix” it by turning Airplane Mode on, then off.  I have wiped the CACHE partition on the phone, cleared Cache in the App, uninstalled and reinstalled Office, etc.  

The problem occurs whether I am using 5G or connected via WIFI.  I also occurs in multiple locations. 

The problem is random - sometimes it works perfectly for a period of time, other times the problem rears its head frequently.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone might be able to provide - this is driving me crazy.  I rely on my phone for email and this is not good.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you submitted to the developers of the app.  I purposely rolled back Outlook to an early April version to avoid the ads they now push in the app.  I haven't had any issues sending or receiving e-mail and I use the app multiple times a day, every day.

Badge

Thanks for responding.  No, I haven’t reported the problem to Microsoft yet.  I’ve been trying to trouble-shoot the problem, or at least see if there is a pattern, which there isn’t.

Badge

The issue has been resolved.  Turns out Android puts Outlook to sleep (I think) when you have battery set to Optimized for the app.  If you change the battery setting to Unrestricted, the problem goes away and the app works like it should.  This may use additional battery but it’s worth knowing my email client is working and I don’t miss messages.

This may resolve similar issues with other apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can actually go into the battery saver mode and mark the outlook app as one it doesnt limit. along with any other main apps you would need using background data while the device is asleep or not being used.