Question

Political spam sms

• 5 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

Is anyone else getting crushed by these? I’ve received 10 in the last 24hrs. I fwd to 7726 & block the numbers but that’s pretty much useless because the numbers are all randomized by an auto-dialer and change every time. I’ve also got the spam shield app but it’s also useless for sms. And I already have problems downloading that app when TMO already downloaded a bunch of apps (that I promptly uninstalled) when I signed up. How many apps are needed. Just block calls and sms at the network level.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was getting these a lot too.  After I dumped T-Mobile I get almost no sms spam anymore.  Pretty sure T-Mobile is selling your info or it was released in one of their many data breaches.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Luckily all mine go in my spam folder and I recently moved to a different state so I get spam from 2 states.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I haven’t received any and these are probably not even coming from the numbers you are seeing.  This is why T-Mobile made the change to the ToS to be able to take action by fining these unwanted spam related messages sent out by  businesses and politicians.  

Badge

I guess we shall see if the funds make any difference. I had the same issue with ATT. Going to try something else outside of the phone and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your thoughts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've had my phone number for 20 years so most
Spam has been filtered. The last time I got a new number for a phone for a different line it was hit from spam from the previous number holder.

I’m getting more political spam every day, it’s all Republican, and I am not. 🤬

Yeah, political spam has made SMS basically useless for me. I’d gladly pay an extra monthly fee to block it.

If anyone else is trying apps to deal with the problem, I can report that Robokiller doesn’t work blocking political spam even though it claims to. I had it running as a trial this week, but I just got 7 spam texts in one day.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Lots of political BS spam here too, but it goes directly to the spam folder.  I only see it if I open the spam folder.