Question

question? locked vs T-moble phone

• 16 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

hello, looking to buy a new phone thru Gazelle, my. so my questions is would it be better to buy a t-mobile phone , or a unlocked phone? any pros or cons. if i get a t-mobile phone? and if i did buy a t-mobile phone can t-mobile unlock it if needed?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Buying a device, I would personally recommend a SIM unlocked model.  That way, you aren't stuck with it being locked to T-Mobile.  For used devices or devices not purchased directly from T-Mobile or an authorized retailer.  T-Mobile will not be able to SIM unlock the device. Used devices sold using sites like Ebay can only be SIM unlocked at the request of the original owner and they have to meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

If you want to buy a second hand device, make sure the device has not be reported lost or stolen.  Sites like swappa.com have an excellent used market where devices can only be sold as advertised and are checked to ensure they aren't blacked before being allowed to be sold.

Badge

t-mobile would not unlock it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've unlocked a Tmobile phone a long time ago that I purchased on Ebay that was sold locked after I met the usage requirements but like  @syaoran stated make sure the phone is paid off otherwise if the original stops paying and it gets blacklisted there is nothing you can do.