Samsung Tab S9+ 5G connectivity

• 2 November 2023
  • 17 replies

Badge

It seems that the brains at T Mobile help have no answer to this question, so maybe someone here on the forum does. Why can’t I purchase a Tab s9+ 5G tablet with T Mobile as carrier? I can get it with Verizon, ATT, and US Cellular, but not T Mobile. Why?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/samsung-galaxy-tab-s9-fe-5g?sku=610214679352

^^^ that one?

Badge

I’m sorry, did I not make myself clear when I said that I was looking for the s9+ 5g? I did not say anything about the s9 fe. I do not want the fe. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

looks like you’ll be getting it direct from Samsung.

Badge

Samsung doesn’t carry it either. They have released it for everybody but T mobile. makes me wonder why I stay with T Mobile

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so Samsung doesnt carry it for TMO..but somehow youre thinking it wont work on TMOs network?

Badge

Not sure I’m understanding your question. But I assume your asking, why don’t I purchase the tablet and use it on TMO? First, the tablet is locked for the particular carrier that you purchase it for. From what I understand there is a waiting period of so many days before that carrier will unlock that tablet and allow you to use it on another carrier. Second, if TMO is supposed to be this great cell phone company they claim to be, why don’t they have this tablet, while other carriers do, and why aren’t they up front about telling you why they don’t have it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so they didnt bother creating a fully carrier unlocked variant?

Badge

As you may well know it is very difficult getting a straight answer from Samsung or TMO when you ask such questions. You get a lot of double talk. Samsung tells me that they do not produce an unlocked version of this tablet, but if you go on ebay, you can buy an unlocked version. The caveat is that it comes from South Korea. Not sure that I want to purchase a 1200.00 tablet from a country that I’m not sure the tablet will work in the US. So right now its either forget about it, buy ATT tablet and wait 60 days to unlock, wait for TMO tablet to hit the market or say screw TMO. Don’t really want to do the latter because I am getting a pretty good deal on my wireless plans, and coverage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran any reasoning you can think of that good ol Sammy wouldnt have a unlocked works in the U.S variant? if they have them for the other carriers then its safe to say they would have a regular fully carrier unlocked one as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The U1 are the US unbranded/non-carrier specific SIM unlocked devices.  All U, U1, and W devices have interchangeable firmware but it is best to make sure the device is SIM unlocked first because each SIM locked device can only be SIM unlocked on the original carrier firmware. 

Even though my s23 Ultra was purchased from T-Mobile.  As soon as it was SIM unlocked, I flashed it from the TMB U firmware to the U1 firmware. 

You can always tell the original firmware the device shipped with because one of the codes can't be changed.  Not even with root or flashing. 

If you look at the 4 things in the Service Provider Software Version.  The first one (TMB in my case) of the four can't be changed.  The second (TMB) is the SIM 1 carrier CSC, the third is the firmware model version (XAA is the U1 non carrier specific firmware), and last is for the eSIM (XAU), which is for an international SIM, which is my Canadian eSIM.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

but does it make any sense that Samsung would up and not create a fully unlocked non carrier Tablet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The tablets that aren't locked, are the WiFi only versions usually.  There are SIM unlocked versions that can be purchased from Samsung directly for the tablets that do have cellular capabilities.  The Canadian cellular tablets are all SIM unlocked as well and they use a very similar and interchangeable firmware, just like cellphones.

Badge

syaoran, what you are saying is all greek to me. I am not a tech geek, and have no desire to to go fiddlin around trying to make things thing work by messing with the operating systems. If I mess something up, I,m stuck with a 1200.00 paper weight. I want to know why I can’t buy something that I want.  The same thing with Samsung TVs. You can’t buy a new Tv with all this garbage bloatware preinstalled on it. I don’t want all that crap on my tv. I could give two hoots about tik tok or youtube or netflix or disney or whatever. But you cant buy a tv with that crap already preinstalled on it, and you can’t get rid of it!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not all carriers sell the same things.  If there is enough demand for it, then it might become available to purchase through T-Mobile.  Tablets aren't always big sellers though.  Especially the higher end tablets.  Samsung does have payment offerings if that is what you are looking for.  So does BestBuy.  Just because there isn't a T-Mobile specific version doesn't mean they won't work on T-Mobile once SIM unlocked.  

Dajack - I'm with you. I'm in the same boat. But be aware of what you're getting into. I too wanted the S9+ 5G, so I purchased a Verizon one on ebay brand new, opened it, and waited the 60 days for it to be unlocked. Tossed my T-Mobile sim into it and up and running! With two big caveats! The tablet is infested with Verizon's GARBAGE bloatware, and the biggest problem is the lack of compatible 5G bands. Unfortunately I found out after the fact, not all 5G capable, Samsung Tab S9+ 5G tablets have the same 5G bands built in. I get less than optimal 5G coverage because the bands Verizon and T-Mobile use are very different. I have since found that US Cellular uses the same bands for 5G. Tmobile won't be any help because they want to sell the FE to people instead. The S9+ is a fantastic tablet, but the lack of support for use on Tmobile is more than frustrating.

To Syaoran, unfortunately I'm the US, Samsung is not selling unlocked S9+ 5G tablets. 

The question posted really comes down to cellular communications radio compatibilty. Cellular providers are assigned bands by the FCC -- most cell sales reps aren't familar enough with cellular technology to provide customers with useful technical answers to these sorts of questions but this inormation is available online. T-mobile has their cellular band info on their website:

5GUC (Ultra Capacity 5G)
  • Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
  • Band n258 (24 GHz)
  • Band n260 (39 GHz)
  • Band n261 (28 GHz)
5G (Extended Range 5G)
  • Band n71 (600 MHz)

If you go to GSM Arena you compare this to the tablet you want:

Galaxy Tab s9+

NETWORK Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G
4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 40, 41, 66
5G bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6

then simply compare this with the version which is available directly from T-mobile...

Galaxy Tab s9 FE (TMO)

NETWORK Technology 4G LTE / 5G
4G bands

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 20, 25, 26, 28, 40, 41, 66, 71

5G bands

n25, n41, n66, n71

You can get a tablet directly from Samsung or any other seller, like I have and the other poster had, and it will work just fine -- However, T-mobile provides certain high-speed bands which you may not always receive. It really isn't a big deal unless you require ridiculously fast speeds for your specific use case. My Galaxy s7+ (which I purchased from Verizon and took over to T-mobile) receives plenty fast cellular data connections for Netflix & other streaming services, and much of the time I receive 5G connections as well. BUT.....

IMHO, the largest caveat to procuring a tablet from Verizon is that Samsung Cloud is excluded from all Vzw devices, which completely sucks if you're wanting the Samsung "seamless data" experience. Multi-control and all the other stuff still works just fine.

My s7+ tablet operates on the 5G Bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 40, 77, 78 SA/NSA. Simply comparing the Galaxy s9+ to my current s7+ it's plain to see that it actually has more wireless capabilty in the 5G bands so I will likely upgrade.

There are plenty of resources online but if you like, you can learn more here: 

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network

Hola, tenía la misma duda que usted, actualmente me compre la tab s9 plus modelo de att desbloqueada y te confirmo que si funciona sin problema en tmobile siempre y cuando esté desbloqueada.