Question

SMS group text as individual messages and replys only to me

• 4 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

New Samsung 21 5 phone - trying to make it work like my Sansung S10.  I have groups setup that i want to keep private.  When i send a message to the group i want a text to send to each recipient - not a group text.  i don’t want others to see who is getting the same text message.   

I was able to do this on my S10 but it doesn’t seem to work on my S21.  I have turned off ‘group conversation’ in multimedia settings and tested it.   It didn’t work and recipents were able to see who else got it and their responses.   

Please advise. 

Theresa Garrison

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

try checking out the Samsung site forums. Samsung texting app...they might have changed something up a bit on their end.

This happens when you are using a 2020-2021 Galaxy Flagship and are using eSim as your Calls/Messaging sim while using the Samsung Messages app.

Switching to any other texting/RCS app or converting back to a physical sim fixes the problem.

This is a Samsung issue.

WE just had a similar problem on the wife's S21 after a carrier Security Patch was updated to the Dec 2021 version.

QUICK FIX: Messages-->Three dots(top right)---->Settings-->More Settings-->Multimedia Messages--> Uncheck (Turn off) "Group Conversations"-->Re-Check (Turn back on)"Group Conversations" --> Make sure download Automatically is Checked (ON).

I hope this helps some you people with this crappy OTA update bug. Shame on you T-mobile for pushing this OTA with such a huge glitch and not having it resolved with an update or at minimum a walk through on how to fix this. It took me less than 15 minutes to solve after reading the community threads and realizing it was app/os related.

we were forced to switch from sprint to t mobile.  we did it right away and this was an issue.  were given our old sims back and told when it would be required to make the switch it would be resolved.  1 year later.  still not resolved.  have tired the steps & know them well bc it is very similar to what we have had to do in the past to make it look like a private message to the recipient even though it was sent from me as a group message.  i need this for business and to message my clients without it being a massive group message everyone hates.  

we fixed it, we fixed it.  sent it to a small group as a test.  everyone can see everyone else in the group and it does not work. 

PLEASE RESOLVE!

I have a new zfold 4 and a standard Sim card from my s20+. I have the same issue. I send a group text and all the responses come back separately 

I switched from Verizon to tmobile using galaxy s23. Still cannot send group text to individuals.  T Mobile nor Samsung could help. They each point finger to each other. Anyone from TMobile able to help? please

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I switched from Verizon to tmobile using galaxy s23. Still cannot send group text to individuals.  T Mobile nor Samsung could help. They each point finger to each other. Anyone from TMobile able to help? please

Samaung has discontinued Samsung Messages in the US.  Try Android Messages.  Group Messages also doesn't show every person that was texted in the group who was texted.  It just sends the message to everyone in the group.  At least that is how it works on Google Messages.

Google messaging requires it to be set on group text to send to multiple contacts. That doesn't help