T-Mobile RCS Messaging Stability Issues

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since moving to the S23 with official locked Tmobile ROM, RCS messaging has been terrible. Fails to connect to RCS servers, fails to send text, fails to receive text all at random. Rebooting phone, clear Google Messages cache and deleting all text threads helps for a while, then it's back to terrible again.

I have researched online and others have the exact same issue. It all started when Samsung moved from Samsung Messages to Google Messages for the text app. The problem is that Google Messages which is now the official messaging app on Galaxy phones, still uses T-Mobile’s unreliable RCS services. They can reprogram the Google Messages app that official Tmobile Samsung phones have to use the stable Google Jibe RCS services instead. This only effects official Tmobile phones and not unlocked Samsung phones on Tmobile, as their Google Messages client uses Googles RCS services and not T-mobiles.  ATT just moved all their users from ATT RCS services back to Google Jibe for these performance reasons.

When is T-Mobile going to move Samsung Galaxy users off the unstable Tmobile RCS services and onto Google Jibe RCS services?  If any Tmobile reps are listening, please open a case with backend engineering to fix this.  Tmobile Samsung phone users have been dealing with for a year now.  This issue is enough to lose a substantial amount of subscribers over.

Need proof?

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran . you have a 23 dont you? issues on your end with RCS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@syaoran. you have a 23 dont you? issues on your end with RCS?

I don't use RCS.  The more secure is basically a myth because Google sells your data.  I have zero issues with SMS and MMS using Pulse.  Samsung Messages is full of issues.  Especially if you accidentally update it from the ay Store and not the Samsung Store.  The versions are different!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

theyre using Google Messages this go around it would seem. i dont have any issues with RCS using G-M but im also on a V60.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Google Messages should have the latest updates for RCS.  However, when Google makes changes to the back end.  it can sometimes take carriers a little while to catch up.  Personally, Google's dual-SIM implementation drove me away.  For single SIM, Android Messages isn't that bad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

im single sim. has always worked for me perfectly fine.

I don't use RCS.  The more secure is basically a myth because Google sells your data.  I have zero issues with SMS and MMS using Pulse.  Samsung Messages is full of issues.  Especially if you accidentally update it from the ay Store and not the Samsung Store.  The versions are different!  

Nonsense. Encryption > no encryption. 

Thanks. Now if only someone will listen. This is complete garbage. There is absolutely no valid reason for the failure to support encrypted messaging in 2023. It has even sent messages by SMS without my OK despite NOT having that selected. It also is completely unacceptable that it takes it 5 minutes to decide it's failed. This is completely inexcusable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Nonsense. Encryption > no encryption. 

What good is that encryption when Google will sell the key to anyone interested?  Google would gladly decrypt any texts at the request of the government without a second thought.  

I and my wife have this same issue. We are using Galaxy S23 ultras with T-mobile ROMs. If we use Google messages for RCS messaging each other, the messages frequently fail to send until we click on the message and select the option to send it as an SMS/MMS instead. When we do this, the message will send immediately.  

I have reached out to T-mobile support a few times for this. Each time I was told tech support would follow up with me, but I never receive a follow up. Their service in this regard has been awful. 

I read on a reddit post that switching to the Samsung messages app resolves the issue. I'll do that for now until T-mobile resolves the RCS messaging issue by switching to the stable Google Jibe RCS services instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The issue is on Google's end.  T-Mobile has no control over Google Messages.  The issue also affects some Samsung Messages users that update from the PlayStore versus the Galaxy Store.  Personally, I use Pulse which doesn't use RCS.  No issues at all.

The issue is on Google's end.  T-Mobile has no control over Google Messages.  The issue also affects some Samsung Messages users that update from the PlayStore versus the Galaxy Store.  Personally, I use Pulse which doesn't use RCS.  No issues at all.

I disagree. I have 2 galaxy s21 ultras being used on my tmobile account. The Google messages app on these devices use the Jibe network for RCS and don't have any issues with sending or receiving RCS messages. 

The google messages app on my T-mobile ROM S23 ultras are forced to use the T-mobile RCS servers instead of Google Jibe RCS servers. If I switch my messaging app to Samsung messages, which apparently doesnt use the T-mobile RCS servers, RCS messages send and receive with no problem. The issues lies with T-mobile and not Google since the issue only occurs when RCS messages are managed by T-mobile's RCS servers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I disagree. I have 2 galaxy s21 ultras being used on my tmobile account. The Google messages app on these devices use the Jibe network for RCS and don't have any issues with sending or receiving RCS messages. 

The google messages app on my T-mobile ROM S23 ultras are forced to use the T-mobile RCS servers instead of Google Jibe RCS servers. If I switch my messaging app to Samsung messages, which apparently doesnt use the T-mobile RCS servers, RCS messages send and receive with no problem. The issues lies with T-mobile and not Google since the issue only occurs when RCS messages are managed by T-mobile's RCS servers. 

It's the same Android Messages app in the PlayStore.  There is no separate version of the app for T-Mobile ROM's.

It's the same Android Messages app in the PlayStore.  There is no separate version of the app for T-Mobile ROM's.

It is the same app, but in RCS settings in Google messages you can see the RCS server is either Jibe or Tmobile. On my S21 Ultras, it is Jibe. On my sS23 Ultras, it is Tmobile servers. 

I also would also be willing to try to pulse sms that you use, but it doesn't look like they have a wear OS app. 

Badge

My wife has a S23 Ultra (I am the account owner) and she has had this issue for quite a while now. I keep putting off calling in but looks like T-Mobile is mute on this issue anyway. Frustrating.

Badge

Do you have any evidence of this or any pending lawsuits you can refer to? Google claims the encryption is native only on the 2 devices transmitting/receiving messages (at least last I checked). Throwing in conspiracy theories to the mix is not helpful ATM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Do you have any evidence of this or any pending lawsuits you can refer to? Google claims the encryption is native only on the 2 devices transmitting/receiving messages (at least last I checked). Throwing in conspiracy theories to the mix is not helpful ATM.

Read Google's Terms of Service in full.

Are you still having this issue? I got a new T-Mobile s23 ultra 3 weeks ago and RCS has been terrible. So unreliable. There’s no rhyme or reason to when it will/won’t decide to work. I did all the T-Mobile troubleshooting and all the Google troubleshooting and even did a factory reset a few days ago. I have been on every forum with other users who have had the same issue. I called T-Mobile today and told them what troubleshooting I did, they transferred me to Samsung advanced support, and it still isn’t working right. I wish I would have returned it within the 14 days and got an unlocked version instead. Lesson learned, I guess.

Badge +1

I’ve recently removed the carrier services from my wife’s and my phone as were both on S23. Haven’t really seen a difference. Still experience issues. Mainly it is when I connect to another cell tower. Specifically, an area I frequently travel too where the messages will just hang. It’s also common that it states it's waiting for the person to be online even when Google Messages open and my wife is looking at the app. Who knows for certain who’s issue it is. It for sure happens more with those using Google Messages with T-Mobile at the backend. It's a joint effort. I will say I would experience some of the same issues when I was on a S20 when it would use Jibe. Because I experience it more when connected to specific cell towers I can see why some people just don’t experience the issue. And it is a little annoying that I have to send pictures and videos as files so they stay untouched.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its gotta be more of a specific devices/texting app issue. im still running my V60 with GM with no issues. i dont call people..90% of my contact to and from is via text with no issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update: https://9to5google.com/2023/09/21/t-mobile-rcs-google-jibe/

We will have to see how long it takes Samsung to upgrade their version of Google Messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Using ADB to reinstall Google Messages directly from the on-device firmware.  I see Jobe from Google in mine.  This crap still doesn't work properly with dual-SIM, even after updating.  I checked before and after updating.  It shows the same connection to RCS on my s23 Ultra.

Badge +1

It's official. T-Mobile is reverting Google Messages back to Jibe off their own servers. So it just proves this whole time that any T-Mobile employee on here hasn't been listening. Just regurgitating the same troubleshooting steps that everyone will comment back that they've done every step before. This has been an issue since it was implemented on Google Messages to use T-Mobile servers. There is no effort to help customers when so many of us are saying the same thing. I'm curious how many of us called T-Mobile about this for it to be sent up to someone else and never get a call back. It's frustrating. It's easier for support to respond back saying they don't know and to be honest, not going to get an answer for you. I posted a link since support is just as clueless.

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/21/t-mobile-rcs-google-jibe/#:~:text=In%20addition%20to%20Get%20the,or%20use%20their%20own%20infrastructure.

Any ETA on the switch to Jibe?  Will this occur in the background or is there something we’ll need to do?  Any way to make this happen soon??

My wife switched from a Pixel to an S23 and the messaging is terrible.  It has all of the problems described on this thread.  Never had an issue with this when she used a Pixel. 

Badge +1

There is this one cell tower that once I connect to it, almost 100 percent the time RCS messages will hang. I have no data problems. I have to either toggle airplane mode or drive away from the cell tower and connect to another one. It happened on the S20 I had even when it was connected to Jibe. It was always on the same cell towers I use my S23 on. Explain that. And yes, all troubleshooting has been done. I think it goes without saying I had the issue on two phones who connected to two different RCS networks. My wife will experience the same thing. I shouldn’t have to troubleshoot it all the time. It should just work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's official. T-Mobile is reverting Google Messages back to Jibe off their own servers. So it just proves this whole time that any T-Mobile employee on here hasn't been listening. Just regurgitating the same troubleshooting steps that everyone will comment back that they've done every step before. This has been an issue since it was implemented on Google Messages to use T-Mobile servers. There is no effort to help customers when so many of us are saying the same thing. I'm curious how many of us called T-Mobile about this for it to be sent up to someone else and never get a call back. It's frustrating. It's easier for support to respond back saying they don't know and to be honest, not going to get an answer for you. I posted a link since support is just as clueless.

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/21/t-mobile-rcs-google-jibe/#:~:text=In%20addition%20to%20Get%20the,or%20use%20their%20own%20infrastructure.

mind pointing out which “TMO employee” in here wasnt listening?