Question

Unlocked Samsung Z Fold 4 Still No One UI 5.0 Update

• 17 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Today is Jan 17, 2023, almost 2 months after locked Z Fold 4 got ONE UI 5.0 update, unlocked version is still stuck at the older Android 12 One UI 4. T-mobile, when are we going to get the update? People now are using SIM card from a different carrier to get an update, meaning that the software is ready but you T-mobile is refusing to release them. If I understand this correctly,  T-mobile is really trying to push unlocked device users to use a different carrier, is that correct?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Today is Jan 17, 2023, almost 2 months after locked Z Fold 4 got ONE UI 5.0 update, unlocked version is still stuck at the older Android 12 One UI 4. T-mobile, when are we going to get the update? People now are using SIM card from a different carrier to get an update, meaning that the software is ready but you T-mobile is refusing to release them. If I understand this correctly,  T-mobile is really trying to push unlocked device users to use a different carrier, is that correct?

oh? where did you hear this from? or is this just your assumption?

Badge

Because I can get updates faster when I use unlocked device with other carriers , and that means more secured system, faster device, and better OS. Anything else you don't understand and need me to elaborate?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Unlocked Z Fold 4 just started downloading this morning at 515 am central

Just got my Android 13 update!! Finally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Because I can get updates faster when I use unlocked device with other carriers , and that means more secured system, faster device, and better OS. Anything else you don't understand and need me to elaborate?

so an assumption and not factual info...

to see the lunacy of peoples responses on this thread is disheartening.

the OP asked a question based on the unexplained delays in the rollout of android 13 / ui5 for the fold series - because it is punishing end users and forcing them to find other ways to upgrade their devices as t-mo has been untimely in their distribution of the update.

If every other operator has already distributed the update and t-mo has distributed the update to other devices already and only one device is held up well beyond any reasonable time period (given that vzw and att rolled this out in november) - with no explanation - as to why and no announcement dates - the assumptions are reasonable that they (t-mo) simply want to give reasons for people to leave.

I had an unlocked zflip3 that got the update in early december - that was available for everyone else in october/november - then i upgraded to the zfold4 and was essentially downgraded to ui4 android 12 - i found it shocking and disappointing that this was the case on a flagship phone at this price.

Carriers have been known to slow-roll unlocked devices to encourage buying locked devices - this is not a conspiracy - it’s fact - they (the $$$ people) don’t understand that this actually pushes those people most likely to churn to another carrier straight to the other operators - think about it - you drop nearly 2k on a device and get downgraded because of your operator? why do you think people buy from samsung direct instead of at the t-mo store? so they can migrate when the need or whim hits them to…

t-mo constantly slow-rolling these rollouts without communicating anything on them is shameful - worse, is that it has the opposite of their intended affect. IF there was a legit bug that was holding them up that they were working on - then fine - we would appreciate that - but if you don’t disclose the bug and a timeline for release they encourage the speculation and dissatisfaction - this is destructive - the OP simply was pointing this out…

BTW - thanks to one of the productive comments in this thread and the OP - despite trying last night at 2a eastern and there being no update - I actually just tried again to update at 1130a eastern and BAM - I got the update!!!! I was in the process of downloading ODIN to do it myself manually - now i don’t have to… So thank you to the OP and @Maris for their posting…

Just got my Android 13 update!! Finally.

Thank you for your reply on this thread… thanks to you i just checked again and i too am installing the update… yiipppeee