When to expect Android 13 for Samsung Flip 4 5g

• 23 December 2022
  • 17 replies

Badge

Hello, when can I expect to receive the Android 13 update? thank you

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Some time in 2023 more than likely.  The update is currently in development.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/software-updates/samsung-galaxy-z-flip4-5g-android-update

Badge

Great thanks 

I hope Tmobile monitors this site. Been with them now since Z Flip 4 came out, update timing unacceptable. Was with Verizon got security updates monthly, on time. Since coming to T Mobile $1,000 phone got first update mid Dec for Nov update, now Android 13 release mid Nov and all other carriers have released it. Tmobile you listening? Unacceptable for a new generation phone and phone protection. Match or better your competitors, it is not still in development, you have had it for testing for quite a while, and you have left my phone with bugs and no monthly security updates.

Badge

I agree and was surprised to learn it’s taking as long as mentioned. If Samsung specs show Android 13, then would expect it to be available as soon as the new phone was being set-up. 

Love to hear from someone who just bought a z flip 4 from them… did it arrive with Android 13? Bet it did. Buy a new unlocked from Samsung, yep, they ship with Android 13. Unlocked or not, they are on same carrier so both should be current.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Take a look at the Pixel Flip when it launches.  Google is much better with their update schedules than Samsung.  

Badge

Will do, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Love to hear from someone who just bought a z flip 4 from them… did it arrive with Android 13? Bet it did. Buy a new unlocked from Samsung, yep, they ship with Android 13. Unlocked or not, they are on same carrier so both should be current.

except one is carrier bloat free where the TMO variant is not bloat free..so when they get that OS update they must then include whatever the carriers need added in (this is where the delays come in)..if problems happen due to this the culprit must be figured out...fixed...retested by both Samsung and TMO..once TMO clears it then Samsung can start kicking it out..if it doesnt pass TMOs testing then it cant be kicked out.

except one is carrier bloat free where the TMO variant is not bloat free..so when they get that OS update they must then include whatever the carriers need added in (this is where the delays come in)..if problems happen due to this the culprit must be figured out...fixed...retested by both Samsung and TMO..once TMO clears it then Samsung can start kicking it out..if it doesnt pass TMOs testing then it cant be kicked out.

Doesn’t explain why I can order an unlocked Flip from Samsung, (unbloated) which comes with Android 13, then call Tmobile and activate ESim on Tmobile, and all will work and they won’t roll you back to Android 12. Tmobile can’t get current Android 12s to work correctly with Android 13 and release the OTA? Not buying it as they now have Android 13 Flip phones working correctly on their network.

Some time in 2023 more than likely.  The update is currently in development.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/software-updates/samsung-galaxy-z-flip4-5g-android-update

Thank you for the link.That worked for me! 👍

I understand T-mobile needing to test the update with Tmo carrier-locked phones (and all the included bloatware), but why can’t they roll out the update to those of us with unlocked phones?  Or provide a link to a site where we can download/install it ourselves?  I bought an unlocked Zflip4 from Samsung in late August with Android 12, and now nearly everyone in the free world has been upgraded except us Tmo users.  I’ve been a Tmo subscriber since 9/2000 and would like to see just a smidge of appreciation and respect.  As a Senior on a $50 unlimited plan, I’m thinking of moving to Mint Mobile just to get the upgrade, as well as saving several hundred $$$/year. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I understand T-mobile needing to test the update with Tmo carrier-locked phones (and all the included bloatware), but why can’t they roll out the update to those of us with unlocked phones?  Or provide a link to a site where we can download/install it ourselves?  I bought an unlocked Zflip4 from Samsung in late August with Android 12, and now nearly everyone in the free world has been upgraded except us Tmo users.  I’ve been a Tmo subscriber since 9/2000 and would like to see just a smidge of appreciation and respect.  As a Senior on a $50 unlimited plan, I’m thinking of moving to Mint Mobile just to get the upgrade, as well as saving several hundred $$$/year. 

If you have a U1 model, T-Mobile has nothing to do with that update.  If you have a U model that is SIM unlocked or SIM locked to T-Mobile.  The update process is a little slower.

It’s an SM-F72U1 model.  Samsung updated all the Zflip4 at least 7 weeks ago, but not mine...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It’s an SM-F72U1 model.  Samsung updated all the Zflip4 at least 7 weeks ago, but not mine...

Updates go out in waves.  A small release to ensure no major bugs make it to all units followed by a second and third wave before it is released to all units.  

TMobile, what an embarrassing situation. Bit the bullet and put my old Verizon sim in and it immediately downloaded Android 13. Took sim out, turned esim back on, reset phone to Tmobile. All works perfect. No different than buying a new phone from Samsung with 13 already pre-loaded.

Tmobile, aren’t you embarrassed enough yet? January security updates coming out and your making customers do their own tech support/updates for 2 month old software. What happened to customer service and monthly updates for bugs and security? Guess we should send you a bill for updating our own phones, or Verizon/AT&T, FI…  should for updating them for you.

I see a lot of hungry lawyers lining up for class action suits. No timely security updates places customers personal data at risk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

TMobile, what an embarrassing situation. Bit the bullet and put my old Verizon sim in and it immediately downloaded Android 13. Took sim out, turned esim back on, reset phone to Tmobile. All works perfect. No different than buying a new phone from Samsung with 13 already pre-loaded.

Tmobile, aren’t you embarrassed enough yet? January security updates coming out and your making customers do their own tech support/updates for 2 month old software. What happened to customer service and monthly updates for bugs and security? Guess we should send you a bill for updating our own phones, or Verizon/AT&T, FI…  should for updating them for you.

I see a lot of hungry lawyers lining up for class action suits. No timely security updates places customers personal data at risk.

not a whole lot they need to be embarrassed about..V got their variant of 13 tested and cleared faster than the TMO variant..as for security patches..those are created directly by the OEM..not the carrier..

not a whole lot they need to be embarrassed about..V got their variant of 13 tested and cleared faster than the TMO variant..as for security patches..those are created directly by the OEM..not the carrier..

Your kidding right? You don’t think Tmobile has the ability to release OTAs as quick as their competitors, or should? And yes security updates come from OEM, but they are pushed out by carrier after testing, just as you said, and now all the new security updates are dependent on the previous update being released, which is Android 13.