Solved

Why cant i trade in my paid JOD device towards a new device?

• 9 September 2022
  • 20 replies

Badge

So i recently just paid off my lease for my samsung s21 ultra and i was looking to trade it towards a new phone. But every time i tried to upgrade, it tell me that i cant trade in my phone since it is a lease device. I spoke with a rep and they told me that, i will need to wait another 9 months before i can upgrade???!!!!!! I dont understand. I finished my lease and paid the purchase option but im still being told that i can not use the phone towards a new phone since it is a lease device. Can someone please explain to me, why pay off a phone for it to technically not belong to me? 

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 26 September 2022, 23:18

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A lease is a term where you pay over a monthly specified term for a device with an option to buy it at the end of that time.  Even if you pay off your lease early  you still have to wait for the remainder of that lease to finish to de ide whether or not you want to buy the device for a fee at the end of it or return the device.  Lease doesn't mean own!

Badge

The issue is, the end of the lease is already up. I did not pay it off early. Just paid it when they charged me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That will take a billing cycle  potentially 2, to update in the system then.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If your phone is paid off the only option is to turn it in or make payments to pay off.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/jod-upgrade

Badge

If your phone is paid off the only option is to turn it in or make payments to pay off.

What do you mean, “make payments to pay off”. Everything is paid, even my monthly bill. 

Badge

Also, if i upgrade right now, i will have to put down a large down payment since at the moment i cant trade in my device. My goal was to use my current device as a trade in to knock off alot of the downpayment/bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

From the link.

How to pay off your device in nine monthly payments.

You can use our Purchase Option Installment Plan (POIP), which is a no-interest, nine-month installment plan. You will be notified when you are eligible to take this option.

1. Log in to My T-Mobile.
  2. Click Billing.
  3. Under 'JUMP! On Demand lease' click View lease details.
  4. Click Get Installment Plan.
  5. Review the payment information. A payment is due for the taxes today and then there will be nine monthly payments.
  6. Enter payment details, then click Agree & continue.
  7. Complete the e-signature process.
  8. Once the transaction is complete, a confirmation message displays.

1. Launch the T-Mobile App.
  2. Under 'Billing & Payments,' tap Lease ending soon. Take action.
  3. Tap Get installment plan.
  4. Review the payment information. A payment is due for the taxes today and then there will be nine monthly payments.
  5. Enter payment details, then tap Agree & continue.
  6. Complete the e-signature process. This may require the agreement to be emailed and authorized on a computer.
  7. Once the transaction is complete, a confirmation message displays.

Badge

From the link.

How to pay off your device in nine monthly payments.

You can use our Purchase Option Installment Plan (POIP), which is a no-interest, nine-month installment plan. You will be notified when you are eligible to take this option.

1. Log in to My T-Mobile.
  2. Click Billing.
  3. Under 'JUMP! On Demand lease' click View lease details.
  4. Click Get Installment Plan.
  5. Review the payment information. A payment is due for the taxes today and then there will be nine monthly payments.
  6. Enter payment details, then click Agree & continue.
  7. Complete the e-signature process.
  8. Once the transaction is complete, a confirmation message displays.

1. Launch the T-Mobile App.
  2. Under 'Billing & Payments,' tap Lease ending soon. Take action.
  3. Tap Get installment plan.
  4. Review the payment information. A payment is due for the taxes today and then there will be nine monthly payments.
  5. Enter payment details, then tap Agree & continue.
  6. Complete the e-signature process. This may require the agreement to be emailed and authorized on a computer.
  7. Once the transaction is complete, a confirmation message displays.

As stated before, it is already paid off. My lease is completed, they billed me the remainder for the purchase option, and that is paid off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Then the phone is yours and you can’t use it to Jump. You should be able to trade it in on a phone but not through Jump.

Badge

Then the phone is yours and you can’t use it to Jump. You should be able to trade it in on a phone but not through Jump.

EXACTLY!!!!! That is the point im trying to make. Im trying to use the phone as a trade in towards a new phone but they said that i cant because it is a lease phone…. EVEN THOUGH I PAID IT OFF… thats why im trying to get clarification or thoughts from the community

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to contact Tmobile support using messenger on Facebook or Twitter to see if the can look into this for you since they are a higher tier of support than calling.

Badge

You need to contact Tmobile support using messenger on Facebook or Twitter to see if the can look into this for you since they are a higher tier of support than calling.

I wish there was a number to call and speak with someone that is can actually help. Ive called customer support but they kept giving me run around and not answering my questions directly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Scroll down from this post and there’s a follow Tmobile with icons next to it that you can use to messenger.

Badge

Scroll down from this post and there’s a follow Tmobile with icons next to it that you can use to messenger.

They havent responded to me. Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

EXACTLY!!!!! That is the point im trying to make. Im trying to use the phone as a trade in towards a new phone but they said that i cant because it is a lease phone…. EVEN THOUGH I PAID IT OFF… thats why im trying to get clarification or thoughts from the community

that would be the issue then. lease=once said lease is done you are still technically making payments on it..well renting it i guess is a better way to say it..unless you paid whatever amount they asked to purchase it outright..if not then technically you are still renting it..same as if you leased a car..you keep making payments..at the end you either turn the car in and get another lease or you get the option to purchase it..which THEN you could use it as a trade in.

Badge

that would be the issue then. lease=once said lease is done you are still technically making payments on it..well renting it i guess is a better way to say it..unless you paid whatever amount they asked to purchase it outright..if not then technically you are still renting it..same as if you leased a car..you keep making payments..at the end you either turn the car in and get another lease or you get the option to purchase it..which THEN you could use it as a trade in.

I paid the purchase amount. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How long ago? If it’s recently the system may not be updated yet.

Badge

How long ago? If it’s recently the system may not be updated yet.

Last week or so. Does it take tmobile’s system that long to update?

I’m having the same issue, where you able to get this resolve yet? 

I paid off the JOD phone fully, lease plus final payment to own the phone, it has been weeks since and I have been unable to upgrade my device and calling Tmobile hasn’t resolved my issue either. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

TL;DR: If you pay the purchase option price all at once, then you have to wait 64 days from the end of the lease for it to be eligible as an upgrade. If you finance the purchase option price over 9 months, then the device is eligible as soon as the final payment is made. 

Jump! on Demand is a very interesting finance option because it has many benefits, but it also has some fine print that can get confusing. Most people like JOD because they can get a device for $0 down most of the time, the monthly payments can be a bit lower, and they can upgrade the device easily every 30 days if they want to. The fact that it is a lease is where things get a little weird. If you do get to the end of the lease and want to keep the phone, technically you have 60-64 days to decide if you want to make the lump sum payment or over the 9 months. If you do the lump sum payment, you would think that you could trade the device in right away, but there are ways for you to change your mind and reverse the payment and set up the 9 month payment plan. That buffer period is the reason for the requirement for customers to wait 64 days for the device to be eligible for trade in.