Question

Cant recieve landline calls from Canada

• 21 September 2022
  • 14 replies

Badge

New to t-mobile,

grandmother on landline in canada

gets recording “call cannot be completed as dialed” along with sounds one associates with fax 

we can call her

had verizon, no problems 

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Are you sure it’s T-Mobile and not her Canadian phone company?  Bell is usually pretty reliable for landline calling to the US, including T-Mobile.  Rogerrs is a little less reliable but still shouldn’t be an issue.  Most of my family in Canada that have landlines, have them through Bell with a couple of exceptions that have Rogers.  I have never had any issues receiving calls from them.  

Badge

I was just now told by T-mobile that I have to dial 011 1 then the number.  Is that your experience?

Badge

she would have to dial 001

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yes. you would need to dial the country code and then their number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Calling Canada is no different than calling a US number that is long distance.  You dial 1, 3 digit area code, and the 7 digit number.  When calling from Canada, it’s exactly the same.  1, the 3 digit area code, and the 7 digit phone number.

Badge

Nope that didn’t work either.  I would say it was on the canadian end but verizon worked just fine.  Thanks for your input, I’ll have to go back to Verizon 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I was just now told by T-mobile that I have to dial 011 1 then the number.  Is that your experience?

On a mobile phone, it’s best to enter all numbers in “Plus format” (e.g +1-212-736-5000) Landline phones have international call prefixes (e.g. “00” or “011”) but I believe that inter-NANPA calls are all just “One Plus” (e.g. 1-212-736-5000)

How long ago did you set up your T-Mobile account? Did you port your line form Verizon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Nope that didn’t work either.  I would say it was on the canadian end but verizon worked just fine.  Thanks for your input, I’ll have to go back to Verizon 

I just called my grandmother, who lives up in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada.  I dialed 1-905-and her 7 digit phone number.  Her and my grandfather are on their way out to Bingo.  Are you using some international model of phone or firmware?

Badge

T mobile told us to have her dial 011 then 1, our area code and number.  Is the 905 particular to Ontario?  My relatives live in BC.  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T mobile told us to have her dial 011 then 1, our area code and number.  Is the 905 particular to Ontario?  My relatives live in BC.  Thanks

905 is an Ontario only area code.  I regularly call family out in Calgary, Alberta and other area codes in Ontario as well.  011 is for the old phone system that is used overseas.  Canada uses the same phone system as the US.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You have to understand that T-Mobile (a pox upon them) outsourced 90% of their customer service to the Philippines. While some of the reps are very good, there are probably some who don’t know that the US and Canada share a country code and telefonically act as a single entity.  

Badge

Then she should be able to dial 1 our area code and our 7 digit number as she did with Verizon. .  I may try customer service once more, thanks for the info about outsourcing. they are very polite, nicer than verizon but if they can’t “fix” it, nice doesn’t really matter.  I appreciate your input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Then she should be able to dial 1 our area code and our 7 digit number as she did with Verizon. .  I may try customer service once more, thanks for the info about outsourcing. they are very polite, nicer than verizon but if they can’t “fix” it, nice doesn’t really matter.  I appreciate your input.

I am thinking it is whatever phone service she might have is the issue.  T-Mobile can't change how a number has to be dialed for it to be be reached but a phone company can change how that number has to be dialed to complete the call.  Think of the old days when you didn't need to dial the area code to call a local number.  In some places, like rural West Virginia, local.calls still don't require the area code to be dialed when using a local land-line.

Badge

hmmm, one more avenue to pursue before I give up!  Thanks again