Question

Carrier unlocked Iphone XR locked after reset and update to iOS 16.2

• 3 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi all.
I ran into such a problem. Iphone XR not accepting sim card after reset and update to ios 16.2.
I am not a US citizen and do not live in the US. I bought this phone in October 2019 on ebay from the seller - https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/pskrusa. This phone was sold as globally unlocked.
When I received it, I activated it without any problems and worked with it for 3 years.
In February 2022, I disabled updates.
In December 2022, I decided to sell it and logged out of my Apple account on the phone and wiped all data. But I forgot to take some screen shots from the phone for sale and reactivated it. After that, the phone was updated to version 16.2 and none of my sim cards (including the one that worked in this phone for 3 years) did not work on the phone.
I contacted Apple support for clarification and they said that the phone belongs to US Sprint.
At the same time, they confirmed to me that the phone was activated normally, it was stolen, not blocked. They also said that the phone was not listed as hacked and was activated only once (when I did).
I have already written to the seller, but he is still silent.

Apple support suggested that I contact the provider directly, but I did not find an email to write to them. And on the phone, because of the average knowledge of English, I can not understand what needs to be done.

If anyone faced this problem, please write, what should I do?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Once a phone is carrier unlocked it can't be locked again. It can be blacklisted if it was reported list or stolen.

The only thing I can think of is the phone was jailbroke and after the reset it went back to factory settings. I suggest contacting the seller if they still have an active account on ebay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sprint was dissolved into T-Mobile what seems like ages ago now.  Sprint as a carrier does not exist anymore.  As mentioned, devices do not relock after being factory reset which illustrates that some sort of work around or hack was used.  If you can't get a response from the person you purchased it from and convince them to take it back for a refund.  There is nothing T-Mobile can do.  You do not meet any of the T-Mobile SIM Unlock Requirements and you mention the device was stolen but not blacklisted.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

Once a phone is carrier unlocked it can't be locked again. It can be blacklisted if it was reported list or stolen.

The only thing I can think of is the phone was jailbroke and after the reset it went back to factory settings. I suggest contacting the seller if they still have an active account on ebay.

An Apple support engineer connected to my phone remotely and said that there was no hacking or other illegal actions and said he would contact the seller and directly to T-Mobile. But a small problem is that due to my level of English, I may not explain the problem correctly.
And I had a question about T-Mobile email, do they have it or can I just call there?

Sprint was dissolved into T-Mobile what seems like ages ago now.  Sprint as a carrier does not exist anymore.  As mentioned, devices do not relock after being factory reset which illustrates that some sort of work around or hack was used.  If you can't get a response from the person you purchased it from and convince them to take it back for a refund.  There is nothing T-Mobile can do.  You do not meet any of the T-Mobile SIM Unlock Requirements and you mention the device was stolen but not blacklisted.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

I didn't say the device was stolen. I said that Apple support confirmed the cleanliness of my phone.

As I understand from the answers, you just need to deal with the seller.
He still sells phones on ebay. Is it possible, after 3 years, under US law, to demand a return from him, since he provided false information about the product?

Badge

I checked the phone on the official apple website when I received it, it was not activated. And the support started from the date of my activation. Therefore, I do not understand how the phone could be hacked even before it was activated and third-party software was introduced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The apple support engineer wouldn't see anything since it was wiped out after the reset.

Your best bet is contacting the seller since Tmobile won't be able to help.

Badge

The apple support engineer wouldn't see anything since it was wiped out after the reset.

Your best bet is contacting the seller since Tmobile won't be able to help.

How can I unlock my iPhone without activation and do a reset?
Okay, I understand you, I'll try to contact t-mobile technical support, if they don't unblock it, then at least give a written answer that the phone is blocked on them. So that I can punish the seller.

By the way, the seller answered and this is what he wrote - 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your phones.
We unfortunately do not have a way to look back at our sales from 2019 to help you with the purchase.
We can not confirm if the IMEI listed in the pics was related to the order or what the actual issue is since it worked for 3 years.
Apologize for not being able to help you.
Thanks for your understanding.
PSKRUSA

In my opinion, he wants to pretend to be an idiot.

Badge

I can't find on the site the opportunity to communicate with T-mobile technical support via chat. Is that even possible or just a phone call?

By the way, from recent sales, he already had a similar case. Although when I bought, he had an ideal reputation (3 years ago)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately if you're not a Tmobile customer or bought the phone from Tmobile or an authorized reseller there's nothing they can do to unlock it for you per their policy posted in a previous response.