Solved

Devices using wifi

• 10 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

According to the T-Mobile iPhone app, there are three devices using my wifi that I can not identify.  I have unplugged the two devices that I know of but there are still three unknowns connected.  BTW, turning off the wifi on wife’s phone made no change to the number of devices connected.  Is there some way to identify these devices?  Thanks

icon

Best answer by 123Wiley 13 March 2024, 00:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Im sorry in advance if this is too basic,  but i also had two mysterious devices connected.

It took awhile, mine turned out to be a retired printer still connected and my 'Smart' TV connected along side my ROKU device. I had a guest staying over who was playing around 😠. 

My clothes dryer keeps asking to connect, like i need that.

Cell Spot?

New 'Smart' devices? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

According to the T-Mobile iPhone app, there are three devices using my wifi that I can not identify.  I have unplugged the two devices that I know of but there are still three unknowns connected.  BTW, turning off the wifi on wife’s phone made no change to the number of devices connected.  Is there some way to identify these devices?  Thanks

Yes, but its a lot of work IMHO.

For any device in your home that can be connected you need to find its ID. Once you have the IDs you can check.

My mysterious devices turned out to be a retired printer and the TV.

Some devices allow you to change the ID to ... HPPrinter1, etc.

Badge

That is most interesting.  I know my clothes dryer can connect but it requires an app and setup.  Just in case, I flipped the breaker.  The TV is old but I unplugged it.  I did track down one device.  A bird feeder with a camera.  As I was writing this a new device showed up in my T-Mobile app.  And this morning it says Workgroup connected.  I have no idea what that is.  I tried to find the MAC numbers for our two phones.  I can’t find any numbers that match the numbers in the T-Mobile app.  Thank you for your suggestions. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got one of those bird cameras as a Christmas gift. It also needed an app to work.  HOWEVER,  its a Chinese App and rated 2 stars no way im putting that on my phone or tablet.

Work group connected, WOW, yeah that would worry me.

Are you physically close to nearby neighbors? Granted the range isnt far.

Tried resetting, renaming the device and setting new password?

Badge

123Wiley, we must have the same bird feeders.  Christmas too.   Instructions were sketchy and setup was tricky.  Anyway I turned it off but thanks for the reminder to uninstall app.  I do plan to change the password on the wifi this weekend.  I have since discovered after a lot of searching, that one device is my phone, which I expected to see.  But I don’t know why my wife’s Android Galaxy S8 is not showing up.  But do you know anything about that Workgroup?  What it means or what it could be?   Thanks