Question

How-To:. New phone purchase and set-up

• 23 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Bought my first and only smartphone 7 years ago, so please excuse my basic questions.  I'm in Legacy prepaid Pay As You Go plan.  1) when I go to Apple store to buy new phone, do I select the phone that's $30 cheaper with T-Mobile service or the more expensive Unconnected phone.  I'm thinking that even though I am a prepaid customer who doesn't have a contract with T-Mobile, I'm a customer for their service, right?  2) after I get the new iPhone, can I bring it to a T-Mobile store to have them transfer my account to the new phone?  A store employee did this setup for me in 2014, and I'm hoping this assistance is still offered.  Thank you.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would spend the extra $30 for the unlocked iPhone that isn’t T-Mobile branded.  To start using your new phone, all you do is take the SIM out of your old phone and put it in the new one.  If that SIM doesn’t fit in the new one.  You will need a new SIM that you can get from your local T-Mobile store.  They can activate that SIM for you and you can put it in your new phone and it will work, just like that.  T-Mobile makes it very easy to switch devices thankfully.

Badge

Syaoran-- thank you for responding to my post.  What is your reasoning behind choosing the unlocked phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Personally, an unlocked phone is much more useful and worth the $30 premium.  That way, if you decide you ever want to switch carriers, your phone is ready.  Unlocking an iPhone through T-Mobile and then having that request handed off to Apple can take a week or more.

Badge

Thank you for sharing and helping me.

I pre-ordered two iPhone 13 minis and a T-Mobile plan and got my confirmation and order number.

When I check the order status it says Estimated delivery Friday, Sept 24th, which is today. But there is nothing indicating that’s it’s been shipped yet. My credit card was charged on Wed, Sept 22.

My husband has an old iPhone and is upgrading to the 13 mini. This is my first smartphone! And we just joined T-Mobile with this purchase. I’ve been resistant to getting a smartphone but now I can’t wait. I hope the transition is easy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I would spend the extra $30 for the unlocked iPhone that isn’t T-Mobile branded.  To start using your new phone, all you do is take the SIM out of your old phone and put it in the new one.  If that SIM doesn’t fit in the new one.  You will need a new SIM that you can get from your local T-Mobile store.  They can activate that SIM for you and you can put it in your new phone and it will work, just like that.  T-Mobile makes it very easy to switch devices thankfully.

if the device he/she is currently using is 7ish years old wont they need a newer styled sim card?