Question

if phone has trade in promo, can i pay some more money on its balance but not pay it fully yet since i dont have the funds to fully pay it in one go?

• 12 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a iPhone 14 pro trade in promotion i got for upgrading my plan. I believe I'm getting 800 in credit so monthly I pay 8 bucks for it.

I wondered if (even though the promo is for 24 months ) I can put more money on it from time to time to eventually finish paying it off/lower the balance instead of only paying 8 dollars monthly, so I can change my plan to a cheaper plan, since I got the promo for upgrading to the new premium plan go2plus or whatever it's called.

I've been told paying anything extra on a promo phone would cause tmobile to charge me the full balance the next bill after. Please help.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If you pay more than what is required for the initial payment that includes any taxes and fees.  That will lower your monthly payments by whatever extra you paid spread across the 24 payments.

Badge

If you pay more than what is required for the initial payment that includes any taxes and fees.  That will lower your monthly payments by whatever extra you paid spread across the 24 payments.

I am already in this deal , I was not able to add to the total amount at the time of purchase so I would like to know what I can do at this moment in time. Can I put money on it NOW after being in the deal already without being forced to pay the full balance of the phone the next month for having put more money towards the balance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to look at the terms of the deal is, you may lose the promo if paying it off early. There's a reason why it's 24 months, it's to tie you in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As @gramps28 mentioned.  It ultimately depends on the term of your EIP.  Customer Care at 611 or reaching out to T-Mobile via DM on Facebook or Twitter can have them take at a look at it and tell you if you can pay any extra on the device and not have that void any promotion attached to your EIP.  When I purchased my s23 Ultra, I was told up front that the only time I could make any extra payment was at the time of purchase.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there. Paying extra when you can is a great way to help make bills more manageable for longer. Kudos to you for reaching out so you’re fully aware of the impact those extra payments will have so there are no surprises later. 

If you are on an EIP agreement (Not the lease), then you can always pay extra towards the device balance. When you do that, it reduces the number of months that you pay not the amount you pay each month. Our Ways to pay your T-Mobile bill support page can take you right to where you can make those payments on your account. Just select the One Time Payments option and then the One-Time device payments link. 

Something else to consider when making the extra payments to the device balance: when you make the payment and reduce the number of payments you make overall, it does not change the bill credit that you are getting from the promotion. Paying extra will mean that the charge for the phone will fall off of the account sooner and the bill will go down more quickly, but you should keep your same plan until the credits are finished (until the end of the 24 months) because if you change your plan, it could stop those credits. 

Hope this clarifies things for you. 

Badge

i dont plan to change my plan.

i just wanted to make more one time payments on my phone that is receiving the trade in credit for doing a trade in on a go 5g plus plan.

so my understanding of what you said is that:

i can make one time payments towards the phone thats receiving the trade in promo for my trade in on a go 5g plus plan ( in order to get credits i have to have this plan) i just cant change my plan otherwise i will lose the credits. correct?

Hey there. Paying extra when you can is a great way to help make bills more manageable for longer. Kudos to you for reaching out so you’re fully aware of the impact those extra payments will have so there are no surprises later. 

If you are on an EIP agreement (Not the lease), then you can always pay extra towards the device balance. When you do that, it reduces the number of months that you pay not the amount you pay each month. Our Ways to pay your T-Mobile bill support page can take you right to where you can make those payments on your account. Just select the One Time Payments option and then the One-Time device payments link. 

Something else to consider when making the extra payments to the device balance: when you make the payment and reduce the number of payments you make overall, it does not change the bill credit that you are getting from the promotion. Paying extra will mean that the charge for the phone will fall off of the account sooner and the bill will go down more quickly, but you should keep your same plan until the credits are finished (until the end of the 24 months) because if you change your plan, it could stop those credits. 

Hope this clarifies things for you.