Question

iwatch battery

• 30 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

My Iwatch won’t keep a charge for more than 2 hours anymore. I’ve had it for 3 almost 4 years now I believe. Can you replace the battery or do I just need to replace the watch. And if I replace the watch, when I do the trade in will I get penalized because it doesn’t hold a charge anymore. Everything else on it is good. 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I am a new Watch owner and I have read a lot.  I wanted to decide whether or not to buy AppleCare+  (I decided not to.)  I don’t have first-hand experience with an old watch.

My understanding that if the Battery Health is below 80%, you can get the battery replaced by Apple or Best Buy for $79 - without AppleCare+.  It would be no charge if you had AppleCare+.

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair

You check the Battery Health in the watch’s Settings app.

I have read (so this might not be true) that they don’t actually replace the battery in your watch; they send it somewhere else and then they send you a refurbished watch (same model) with a new battery.  Ask the store for details.

You might also consider buying a new Watch.  There have been many sales lately for Series 8.  You don’t need to buy your watch from T-Mobile.  If you don’t need Cellular service, you can buy a GPS model and save money on the Watch itself, and not need to pay a monthly fee to T-Mobile.

I would assume that trading in a watch with a worn-out battery would not hurt its trade-in value, because the refurb process includes a new battery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can also take it to an Assurion store for replacement if you have one close by.

Assurion store location