Postpaid eSIM Updated w/Unrequested Changes

• 24 September 2023
  • 0 replies

Badge

This pertains to a brand new iPhone 14.  Since yesterday, I noticed that the cellular signal on the phone fluctuating rapidly, despite remaining static in the same room.   In addition, I also noted the following:

After a factory reset, and selecting “keep eSIM”, the cell line does not engage during the phone setup after reboot.  It only reads “SOS”.  The cell line is present after finishing set up though.  This is divergent from baseline behavior, where the cell is active and can be used for activation.

The cellular service cannot access the standard T-Mobile DNS servers when a proxy app is engaged for testing.  This is also different from the baseline, where DNS worked with the proxy just fine.  Using external DNS servers works, oddly enough.

The Apple’s built in Field Test tool ( dial *3001#12345#* ) shows abnormal values, such as changing LOC values, which if i understand correctly, should be unique to every cell tower.

I contacted support and there wasn’t much they could do and recommended I contact Apple.  However, the state of the eSIM is controlled by the carrier.  

Is there a baseline, or reference for nominal T-Mobile cellular line values?

Is it possible to return the device for another model, since the eSIM has been likely compromised in some way, from the results of my analysis?

Thanks

0 replies

Be the first to reply!