Question

Unpublished number

• 31 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

We should be able to have an unpublished number. So people that we don’t want to have our phone number. I don’t want to hear oh you can get a new phone number. That means I have to give it out again. What about people that have a stalk or stalkers! NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE ABLE TO LOOK UP MY PHONE NUMBER ONLINE AND GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If speaking about people finder sites like WhitePages, Checkmate, Spokeo and a host of others even Google, these sites obtain your information from public sources (including tax records, court cases, etc), data mining services that scrape the web for the information. Some may even have been released into the wild with T-Mobiles data breaches Once your info is out in the wild it’s difficult to control who can get at it. However, most legitimate sites do provide methods to opt out and have it remove. A tedious process given the number of people finder sites nowadays.

For example, here’s how Cyber Background Checks gets your info and how you can request removal:

https://www.cyberbackgroundchecks.com/privacy

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Caller: ON works really well.  Remember to switch it off when you are expecting a call from a non-contact.