Question

WARNING! My iphone was hijacked. They stole my email, my tmobile account online, and my coinbase account,

• 7 December 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

HOW DO WE STOP or PREVENT THIS?!

My iphone was hijacked Fri Dec 3, 2021. They stole my email, my tmobile account online (yes, this one right here that I am chatting on), and cleaned out my coinbase account. How did this happen? Who is at fault? AT&T Yahoo mail, Tmobile, Coinbase?

The 2 step verification methods didn’t work. The emails that said, hey you changed your password is this correct if not call. How does this even help if the crook has your email? I discovered the problem at 2pm when my phone stopped dialing, but the dirty deed was done by 2pm.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

oh boy, that’s terrible. For Coinbase and your email, you’ll need to follow up with their support teams to figure out how it was accessed and reset your account. For you T-Mobile account, you can report unauthorized access directly to our Tech Care team and we can escalate it to the right folks on our side. Sorry this happened, but please make sure to get in touch with our team so we can address your T-Mobile account.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Perhaps I was naive. My first venture into crypto currency. And I lost all the coins! I found that I could not send or receive phone calls on Dec 3, 2021 afternoon. Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

• the crooks took over my yahoo email; 
  • they took over my Tmobile online account and “cloned” my iphone;
  • they took over my Coinbase. 

Because my iphone was “cloned”, all the messages (warning of password change, or verification codes) went to the crooks who quickly changed my passwords on Tmobile and Yahoo mail, and changed password and device on Coinbase. All in about 35 minutes, it seems.

I did call T-Mobile on Dec 3, 2021 to fix my hijacked Tmobile online account and get my iPhone “back”. The tech said that I had an old sim chip which allowed the phone to be vulnerable to be hijacked, and able to be put on the crook’s phone. So I removed the sim, and the tech reset to the internal sim.

I got all my accounts back. It took hours in 2 days. I changed all my passwords. But all my bitcoin was gone. Coinbase takes no responsibility, but will assist in a police investigation. Tmobile told me about the old sim chip vulnerability. When I bought my iphone 12 in Feb 2021, they never mentioned the vulnerability of the old sim chip. I didn’t even need the old sim chip apparently. But I used it to transfer the phone data. I should have removed the sim chip at that time after transferring the data. 

oh boy, that’s terrible. For Coinbase and your email, you’ll need to follow up with their support teams to figure out how it was accessed and reset your account. For you T-Mobile account, you can report unauthorized access directly to our Tech Care team and we can escalate it to the right folks on our side. Sorry this happened, but please make sure to get in touch with our team so we can address your T-Mobile account.

Hey Mike, why hasn’t T-Mobile commented publicly about this EBB fiasco? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, mike - How do I report this? How do I contact Tech Care? On Dec 3, 2021, I contacted Tmobile and they reset my phone and told me to remove my old SIM chip. They said the old SIM chip was vulnerable to being put onto another phone. Again, how do I report this to Tech Care? thank you, Jane

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

asking him why higher upper management hasnt publicly commented on something makes about as much sense as someone trying to hijack someone elses thread that is trying to get a problem figured out that has ZERO to do with your EBB fiasco...

Userlevel 1
Badge

asking him why higher upper management hasnt publicly commented on something makes about as much sense as someone trying to hijack someone elses thread that is trying to get a problem figured out that has ZERO to do with your EBB fiasco...

I don’t understand this. I guess I am naive. I phoned Tmobile again today. They put a SIM block, and Account Takeover Protection by Tmobile on my phone. I already contacted Coinbase who gave me the activity reports. I have reset all my passwords and on my email. And I have reported this crime to my local police department. So far, no one can explain how it happened. I’ve done all that I can do for now, I suppose. I wonder if there are any tech savvy guys in the public that can explain how the deed was done?

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-data-breach-and-sim-swap-scam-how-to-protect-your-identity/

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

my comment was directed at the person that just tried to hijack your thread and turn it into something about their problem instead..

This exact thing happened to me two days ago. Yahoo then TMobile account turning off my phone then Coinbase. This is the first info I have seen on the sim card thing. I feel like some awareness needs to be brought to this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tmobile is aware of this major flaw in their system. They should let ALL customers know about this vulnerability. They have known since about August 2021. I had no idea about it. My coinbase was cleaned out on Dec. 3, 2021.

CNET printed an article about it on Aug, 22, 2021. Here is the link to the article.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-data-breach-and-sim-swap-scam-how-to-protect-your-identity/

Thank you so much for this thread!

I’ve been hacked 4 times. Always the same sequence. Email. Tmobile. Coinbase.

I think your explanation of what happened to is what happened t me.

Thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

If it happened once, why did you continue to use coinbase?

I probably will never recover my money. 

I removed my bank account from coinbase. I did not put any more crypto into coinbase. I reported it to my local police dept. I filed a complaint with coinbase. I filed a complaint with T-Mobile. I am waiting for replies from Coinbase and T-Mobile. I talked with my local police and gave them all my information about the illegal transactions which went to an account in Canada. And gave them the dollar value amount that I lost.

I don’t think I will ever use coinbase again. Why should I?

Badge

Same thing happened to me. SIM swap then stole my coinbase account.  Also went into Canada. No help from T-mobile at all. 

This from the Breach last August !

John Binns told the Wall Street Journal he used a publicly-available tool to scan known Internet protocol (IP) addresses that are widely known to be used by T-Mobile, with the scan intended to discover security weaknesses connected to those IP addresses.

He apparently found one at a datacenter in Washington state where he claims an Internet router used by T-Mobile was not properly secured.

Binns told the newspaper his goal was to gain notoriety by “generating noise” about T-Mobile’s lackluster cybersecurity practices. The breach, which was disclosed earlier this month, is one of several involving the theft and leak of T-Mobile’s customer data over the last few years.

My iphone was hijacked Fri Dec 3, 2021. They stole my email, my tmobile account online (yes, this one right here that I am chatting on), and cleaned out my coinbase account. How did this happen? Who is at fault? AT&T Yahoo mail, Tmobile, Coinbase?

The 2 step verification methods didn’t work. The emails that said, hey you changed your password is this correct if not call. How does this even help if the crook has your email? I discovered the problem at 2pm when my phone stopped dialing, but the dirty deed was done by 2pm.

John Binns told the Wall Street Journal he used a publicly-available tool to scan known Internet protocol (IP) addresses that are widely known to be used by T-Mobile, with the scan intended to discover security weaknesses connected to those IP addresses.

He apparently found one at a datacenter in Washington state where he claims an Internet router used by T-Mobile was not properly secured.

Binns told the newspaper his goal was to gain notoriety by “generating noise” about T-Mobile’s lackluster cybersecurity practices. The breach, which was disclosed earlier this month, is one of several involving the theft and leak of T-Mobile’s customer data over the last few years.

Happen to me 3 weeks ago, zero help from T-Mobile except - we will give you a new SIM card for free.

Why there is no class action lawsuit yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Happen to me 3 weeks ago, zero help from T-Mobile except - we will give you a new SIM card for free.

Why there is no class action lawsuit yet?

Class action won’t get your money back, did you see the payout for the data breach settlement? $25 unless you live in Cali then it’s $100. The lawyers and the person who files the claim gets most of the money. And it’s not cheap to file a class because the lawyers who do them don’t work pro bono.