Question

What does "PR" mean in front of contact location?

Badge

recently started getting this in front of most numbers with no rhyme or reason...on some silenced calls, on calls from my contacts, on numbers already listed as “Primary”. What is this?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

through your phones contact list or where exactly? and what type of phone if its through your contacts list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is it a iPhone with dual Sim?

https://osgamers.com/frequently-asked-questions/what-is-pe-and-pr-on-iphone

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Sevenof9 I wanted to check in here and see if you were able to figure out what the PR meant. If not, can you share a little more information so we can try to help further? Thanks

I’m having the same question-ish except mine is in my contacts in the saved persons info under Messenger choices, and all the different messengers they can be reached at. I have an iphone, and I listed an acquaintance who also has an iPhone and this is what shows up under their saved contact in my phone? I have the option to use dual sims but I do not have dual sims. So what is PR? And why do I have two?? 

A photo for visual. 

A photo for visual. I did not save those PR’s under this persons contact and it won’t allow me to click on them, it wants to but nothing pulls up, no link to anything 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are they contacts marked as your favorites or anything? could it stand for priority as in their messages always get pushed through? taking a swing for the fence here…

but it isnt on all contacts right? do you by chance know if the PR is marked on all the Iphone contacts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

something else i found but doesnt quite work for your scenario is “wht is PR in iPhone? says duel sim phones. says the PR you see is likely referring to contacts made with your primary number while the PE is showing calls made from your personal number.

something else..are there by chance two accounts on your phones?

Well,since you brought it up, I’ve been finding strange things on my phone for the last year, that’s a whole other stressful story, lol. But back to the PR, so he is in my favorites but so are others with an iPhone and they don’t have PR under their contact info. It has to do with messaging because in the photo I posted earlier, you see in between both PR’s it’s his MEET account. So it’s some sort of messaging system?  I only have one account on my phone that I’m aware of… but like I stated earlier some strange unexplainable too coincidental type things have been happening way too often… and see how both are blue, I can actually click on the both of them like you would a link, and it clicks like it’s going to open up something but it doesn’t. 

My iPhone has the option to be a dual sim iPhone. I believe it’s iPhone 11-13 are the only ones capable of doing such, don’t quote me on that though, I may be wrong 😬 PR could stand for primary but either way, why would he have two primaries if that in fact were the case, you think it’d only just have the one? 

This is also my boyfriend’s contact that it’s popped up in so I’m fully aware that this is not something that’s been under his contact info, until recently. So it’s most definitely something new 

Ok, so I just looked and verified that only the letter P Stands for primary in settings under cellular when you’re

are they contacts marked as your favorites or anything? could it stand for priority as in their messages always get pushed through? taking a swing for the fence here…

but it isnt on all contacts right? do you by chance know if the PR is marked on all the Iphone contacts?

NOpe just his so far that I’ve found.

This is also my boyfriend’s contact that it’s popped up in so I’m fully aware that this is not something that’s been under his contact info, until recently. So it’s most definitely something new 

deciding if your cellular number is primary, if you have dual sims you can label the other sim secondary, personal, etc.. you’re just labeling your number. The PR that I’m referring to is in my phone under a friends contact that I have saved, it’s where you’d put other messaging apps for this person in your contacts, say they had FACEBOOK, instagram, Snapchat, messenger, all in that category. Just another way to reach them and all their social media apps I suppose. 

This photo is of “Primary” is in the Cellular tab under settings, I don’t believe it has anything to do with what I’m trying to figure out.  This next photo is also in cellular where it shows only the P labeling my number as “primary” which has always been set to that. I hope I’m making some sense lol. 

I highlighted the P, not PR, pink so you could get a visual if it. Hopefully that helps someone but still trying to figure out my the PR a contact of mine, on my phone has labeled under

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I was poking around in my contacts to see if anyone in mine says PR anywhere. I looked through many and did not see any PR. I did confirm that the section of the contact info that you see the PR in is for other accounts like you said in your last post. With that mindset, I did a test and synced one of my contacts with their Facebook Messenger contact. Now there is a title Messenger like you have and their name under it in blue. 

This all points me to the conclusion that the contact is syncing with another app or “contact source”. This could be Facebook Messenger or something else. If you go to settings and scroll down to the full list of apps, do you have more than one Messenger app? My first instinct is that you have Facebook Messenger and some other Message app that could be syncing that contact because you have the MESSENGER title twice. Or you could have the contact syncing from Facebook and the Messenger app separately. 

In your shoes, I would check to make sure I don’t have any extra apps especially third-party text or calling apps that I don’t use. I would also delete the contact that is showing that PR and then trying to readd it like a brand-new contact. 

Ok, that sounds like you’re on the right track to figuring it out. I will delete contact and check for any 3rd party texting apps, I have a lot of apps, but I don’t think I have any texting apps besides ones like Snapchat, messenger, etc… ones I use daily. But question…? I’ve had messenger for years and so have many of my other contacts, why is it just his showing two of them and all of a sudden? It’s not even in my MyCard contact for myself. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ok, that sounds like you’re on the right track to figuring it out. I will delete contact and check for any 3rd party texting apps, I have a lot of apps, but I don’t think I have any texting apps besides ones like Snapchat, messenger, etc… ones I use daily. But question…? I’ve had messenger for years and so have many of my other contacts, why is it just his showing two of them and all of a sudden? It’s not even in my MyCard contact for myself. 

It is almost impossible to say unless you just recently allowed a sync from a popup on your phone. It could be that one app or another just had an update that provided more capabilities. It could be that a new app was downloaded. It could be that those two contacts coincidentally downloaded a new app on their phones that synced their contact and it had a domino effect to sync more contact information to an app that you have had on your phone for years. 

The possibilities are endless.. 

It worked!! I didn’t have any 3rd party apps that needed to be deleted, so I erased the contact like you suggested and then turned around and created him a new one, it got rid of the two random PR’s under the messaging portion of contact info and hasn’t come back yet. I waited all night to make sure and it’s still gone. Thank you!!!